Getting continuous code. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 4th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Getting continuous code.

When I remove a tape and reload it to record more, on Pana cams if I recue it to 5 secs back from the end of the code, they'll continue recording without a break in the code.

The A1 doesn't seem to do this, any way to reload and record without a break in the code? Thx.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Wrangler

As long as the heads are over previously recorded tape (which could be less than 5 sec back) you should obtain continuous video and thus time code. However, if you have selected to use the free running time code clock, you will have time code jumps and it will not be a sequential count.

Also, see the note on page 43 of the manual.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Don. It was a surprise when I first saw the break and I just checked it again. It has 2 secs of blue with no code, then picks up continuous code and the new pix and that's blurred for 1 sec. I must have cued it right near the break and I did it in somewhat of a hurry which is probably the answer.

I have to fill the tapes up for the archives I'm working for or I'll end up with miles of tapes so this is important and I 'blue' it on the first try with the A1, ah me.
Cheers.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Well, you could always make a digial copy to another tape and edit out the part you "blue"
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yep but I'll leave this one as is the archives, frighten someone who'll come across it circa 2050, if the tapes last that long :)
Cheers.
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #6
Wrangler

OK. Maybe put a note in the tape box (use archival grade paper and ink) to the explain the time code/video break to future generations.

FWIW: I have some 45 year old reel-to-reel audio tape that plays OK, and some 29 year old VHS tape that plays OK as well.
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Good idea Don, but that archival papers expensive here. I'll buy only one sheet cause I don't plan for this to happen again.
Cheers.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Wrangler

Maybe use non-archival plain old paper, and just replace the note every 20 or so years <G>.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders