General purpose stereo mic for the A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Inner Circle

General purpose stereo mic for the A1

I have tried SMX-10, not so impress. Anybody has any recommendation for a general purpose stereo mic (3.5mm plug or XLR) less than $200?

I like Rode StereoMic. But I want something I can mount in A1's mic holder.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I like Rode StereoMic. But I want something I can mount in A1's mic holder.
Why, Taky? Do you like the sound of servos and the click and creak of switches and buttons being operated as part of your audio? :-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I do not have any of the issue you mentioned with my Rode stereo Mic. I guess it depends on how you mount it and how you use it.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Major Player

I think the AT822 or 825 (same as 822 but w/XLR connect) is a good choice. The 822 sounds very nice, and goes for about $250.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Taky, I use the RODE Stereo Videomic with my A1. The advantages are, it fits in the A1 shoe nicely, some don't...and plugs in easily too.

On its own shock mount it sits up there out of the way of any cam body sound reflections and has an easily reachable 10db switch for a quick drop or increase in level if you suddenly need it. Comes with a deadcat, I use it around airfields a lot. And the RSVM has such a sweet sound, I love it.

My next preference is my cheaper AT822, also a good sound, but it needs an additional shock mount.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I do not have any of the issue you mentioned with my Rode stereo Mic. I guess it depends on how you mount it and how you use it.
Exactly my point. The Rode has a built in shock mount, I believe. I use a mono micRode (NTG-2) and it has to have the shockmount otherwise I get a lot of unwanted noise.

BTW Taky, the HV30 batteries are doing just great - with two I can keep going all day.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Colin, that's great you got the batteries okay. I am using those batteries too! To shoot an evening banquet, I don't have to worry about if the battery running dry :)
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #8
Wrangler

I use the AT-825 and like it, but usually with a separate recorder, e.g., MicroTrack 24/96

You could also checkout the Sony ECM-MS957 as moderate cost mic in the $200 price range.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10151
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
I think the AT822 or 825 (same as 822 but w/XLR connect) is a good choice. The 822 sounds very nice, and goes for about $250.
Over at the minidisc.org forum, I got this same advice in this thread over here:
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php...9&#entry120639

I still haven't made my purchase yet, but when I do finally make the jump to the Canon XH-A1 (I currently have a Sony HC1), then I definitely plan to finally get this mic.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Taky,

If you are still looking for a way to mount the Rode mic (or any other shock mount) on your A1 please take a look at The J-Rod--It will allow you to mount the mic you want, as well as a radio receiver on the A1. Your top cold shoe will also be left open for the use of a video light or Firestore. www.thej-rod.com
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Go Cycle

The RODE SM-5 works perfectly for me.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
My next preference is my cheaper AT822, also a good sound, but it needs an additional shock mount.
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
I use the AT-825 and like it, but usually with a separate recorder, e.g., MicroTrack 24/96
I posted earlier in this thread that I had received a lot of recommendations to get the AT-822 to use with my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Minidisc to record sound. With my XH-A1 arriving in the mail today, I was hoping to hurry up and grab the mic.

I saw that you both had suggested and use the AT-822 & the AT-825. I was wondering which of the two I should get if I would like to use both with my XH-A1 and my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD? Also, what accessories should I get to use with my XH-A1? (also, I plan to use this with a boom pole so I was also wondering what I should get for that, but I think that's outside the scope of this thread).
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #13
Inner Circle

For use with both the A1 and the Hi-MD get the AT822, it's AA battery powered and comes with an XLR to 3.5mm stereo jack cable which will fit both rigs. The AT825 needs 48volts.

There are other options but I got the RODE SM4 shockmount which fits booms and a 3/8" to shoe mount adaptor to fit the A1.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; September 16th, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: options
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
For use with both the A1 and the Hi-MD get the AT822, it's AA battery powered and comes with an XLR to 3.5mm stereo jack cable which will fit both rigs. The AT825 needs 48volts.

There are other options but I got the RODE SM4 shockmount which fits booms and a 3/8" to shoe mount adaptor to fit the A1.

Cheers.
ah thats good news that you say to get the AT-822 for my needs instead of the AT-825 because I found a used AT-822 on Amazon. Is there anything I'm sacrificing by not getting an AT-825?I know that it costs more.

Thanks for the info on the shockmount too. The SM4 is $49 so that's not bad. I saw some people using the Rycote one over on this Boom pole thread: BOOM poles.... a low level perspective - Page 3 - The Digital Video Information Network. Thats not too bad either at $69 or $79 I believe. I actually JUST bought my XH-A1 used from a member of dvinfo.net (it arrived today actually) and he also has a K-Tek 110CC boom pole he's trying to sell which I'm considering getting (I was eying the Rode Boompole as my other option but the price difference between a new Rode Boompole - $149 - isn't too much lower than his price on the used K-tek boom pole so I think I'm leaning towards getting the better K-tek onr). This seller also has a K-tek GPS shockmount, and as nice it would be to buy both things I need in one shot, those retail new on B&H Photo for $155 which is pretty steep. Even if the seller gave me a good price on his used one, it would probably still be pretty far from the SM4 or Rycote's price.

Last question - you said you use a " 3/8" to shoe mount adaptor to fit the A1." Is that sold from b&h photo also? Do you have a specific link? I tried searching around but couldn't quite find it.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #15
Inner Circle

The 822 has the 3pin XLR to stereo 3.5mm minijack and not the 5pin XLRF type stereo output connector that the 825 has. Audio wise they're very close, I doubt you could tell them apart even in a a pro recording studio. Slightly better figures on the 825. BTW it also has an AA battery option.

Boom poles; each to his own but for prosumer work, my take is get a middle price carbon fibre one, there's nothing worse than underspecing gear, in a lot of instances you buy twice.

I couldn't find that B&H page for that shoe adaptor now either, but it's there somewhere, under camera brackets I thought.

A good tip is, before you buy any gear, look up the owners manual on the web.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders