General purpose stereo mic for the A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
The 822 has the 3pin XLR to stereo 3.5mm minijack and not the 5pin XLRF type stereo output connector that the 825 has. Audio wise they're very close, I doubt you could tell them apart even in a a pro recording studio. Slightly better figures on the 825. BTW it also has an AA battery option.
Thanks Allan, Just bought the AT-822 used off of Amazon. I'm a bit nervous to buy a used mic, but I've heard the mic is very durable and the user seemed pretty reassuring in our e-mails:

Quote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:00 PM, James wrote:

Great,

I'll try to ship it out tomorrow, as I don't have time toda. I, actually used this very mic with an MZ-RH1, you should have everything you need!

-Jim

On Sep 17, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Shahryar Rizvi wrote:

Thanks for the reply Jim. Based on your history, I decided to purchase with you and "take a chance" on the used AT822. Hopefully there will be no difference between buying yours and buying new. Thank you again for taking the time to reply. If you have any thoughts, advice, etc, please do let me know. I plan to use this with my XH-A1 camera and my Sony Hi-MD MZ-RH1

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:13 PM, James wrote:
Hi,

I am the second owner of this microphone. I do not have original receipts. It is in excellent condition. I am selling it because I have a new recorder with built in mics. The AT-822 comes with the 1/8'' stereo connector cord, the microphone itself, and a vinyl bag with a zipper.

-Jim Gill

Quote:
Boom poles; each to his own but for prosumer work, my take is get a middle price carbon fibre one, there's nothing worse than underspecing gear, in a lot of instances you buy twice.
Hmm.. do you have any specific suggestions? I feel I'm pushing my budget considering the used K-tek 110CCR that I have as an option. That's $190. The nice Carbon Fibers that have been recommended to me are Loon Audio and Panamic but the Loons start at $469 and I don't even know what the Panamics start at.

Quote:
I couldn't find that B&H page for that shoe adaptor now either, but it's there somewhere, under camera brackets I thought.
Hmmm... I'll keep searching for it. Now that my AT-822 is on its way, I need to hurry up and at least get this adapter so I can start using it.

Quote:
A good tip is, before you buy any gear, look up the owners manual on the web.

Cheers.
Thanks Allan, I'll remember that.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

My AT-822 arrived last Friday. Looking forward to using this with my XH-A1.

Thanks to this thread for the initial advice and Allan for the recent advice. If I could ask a couple quick follow up questions...

Quote:
There are other options but I got the RODE SM4 shockmount which fits booms and a 3/8" to shoe mount adaptor to fit the A1.
Quote:
I couldn't find that B&H page for that shoe adaptor now either, but it's there somewhere, under camera brackets I thought.
Instead of an adapter, I was wondering if I should consider doing a shock mount with a J-Rod to get the mic away from the tape? As discussed in this thread:
Mount for AT825 on my camera? - The Digital Video Information Network

Quote:
Boom poles; each to his own but for prosumer work, my take is get a middle price carbon fibre one, there's nothing worse than underspecing gear, in a lot of instances you buy twice.
I ended up going with the K-tek 110CCR. One day I'll get a nice Carbon Fiber, but for now, I will have to make due with this.

Also Allan, I'm still sorting out what mount to go with for using my AT-822 with my K-tek boompole, but have noted your advice for the Rode SM4
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar Rizvi View Post
Also Allan, I'm still sorting out what mount to go with for using my AT-822 with my K-tek boompole, but have noted your advice for the Rode SM4
There'd be nothing wrong with it but I've never used that J-Rod and only used the RODE SM4 shockmount with the AT822 on cams....not on a boom.

Mostly mono shotguns are used on booms to reach out to get the mic close to the person speaking. Stereo mics mount on the camera so the stereo sound left and right, matches the viewed scene, left and right. The better AT822 replaces the lesser quality A1 cam mic.

The general rule is, speech for video should be recorded mono not stereo.
There are cases where you might put a stereo mic on a boom for video, eg: to get it up in front of a choir.

Combining stereo speech L+R to get mono in post will likely cause cancellation problems and should be avoided.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
There'd be nothing wrong with it but I've never used that J-Rod and only used the RODE SM4 shockmount with the AT822 on cams....not on a boom.
Thanks as always for the help and responses allen. So, if i understand this correctly, the J-Rod's purpose is to get the mic further away from the tape mechanism. But if you don't use it, and have been doing ok with just the SM4 and the Audio Technica AT-822, then perhaps I'll just grab the same thing. If i use this mount, i would still need the 3/8" adapter we discussed before?

I think my AT-822 will be having it's main home on my camera. I'm also thinking of using it with a mini tripod to record stand up (that's the main thing i record). If i do that set up, i'll prob just use whatever sound is recorded from my built in mic.
Quote:
There'd be
Mostly mono shotguns are used on booms to reach out to get the mic close to the person speaking. Stereo mics mount on the camera so the stereo sound left and right, matches the viewed scene, left and right. The better AT822 replaces the lesser quality A1 cam mic.

The general rule is, speech for video should be recorded mono not stereo.
There are cases where you might put a stereo mic on a boom for video, eg: to get it up in front of a choir.

Combining stereo speech L+R to get mono in post will likely cause cancellation problems and should be avoided.

Cheers.
Yea, i understand. This is what i've been reading in most places. Any suggestions for a good budget mono mic to use with my boom mainly?
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Yes the AT822 works in the SM4 shockmount, it also screws onto my Gitzo boom if I want to use a suitable *mono* shotgun with SM4. As I said I never use the stereo AT822 on a boom.

Hey! I found that shoe adaptor, note the thread sizes. This screws directly into my SM4 so I can use it with my AT822 on the Canons A1s shoe.

Audio-Technica | AT8469 Camera Shoe Mount to | AT8469 | B&H

Quote:
Any suggestions for a good budget mono mic to use with my boom mainly?
Well I'd get a shotgun and I wouldn't go below (read cheaper) than the excellent sound/price RODE NTG-1 or G-2. Check their features and accessories out at the RODE site. The G-2 with its battery option would be good for boom and off camera use and you can use the SM4 shockmount.

RØDE Microphones - Our microphones

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; September 26th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: details.
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes the AT822 works in the SM4 shockmount, it also screws onto my Gitzo boom if I want to use a suitable *mono* shotgun with SM4. As I said I never use the stereo AT822 on a boom.
Hey that sounds good Allan. I wonder if the SM4 will screw into the Boom pole I just bought - the The K-tek 110CCR just as easily (although I am leaning towards this mount for use with my boom pole: invision 7 | B&H Photo Video. It was recommended over here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...tml#post940771)

I found this one post which describes the differences between the SM3, SM4, and the SM5: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...tml#post767384

Unless you suggest anything else for my needs, I'll go with the SM4 like you have.

[QUOTE=Allan Black;943711]
Hey! I found that shoe adaptor, note the thread sizes. This screws directly into my SM4 so I can use it with my AT822 on the Canons A1s shoe.

Audio-Technica | AT8469 Camera Shoe Mount to | AT8469 | B&H

Hmm.. you know, looking at what a new AT-822 comes with (Audio-Technica | AT822 - Stereo Microphone | AT822 | B&H Photo ), it says Camera Shoe Mount adapter. I googled around and it seems that the camera adapter should in fact be the AT8469 you've linked to.

The only thing is that the AT-822 I bought used is missing some stuff. I believe I'm missing this adapter (in addition to the Gun Grip Snap in Stand Clamp, (AT8120) Windscreen, and the 10' (3 m) Cable (XLRF-Type to Two Mono 3.5 mm Mini-Plugs)).
But thinking again, maybe that shoe mount adapter is in there.

I hope it is because it'll save me $10, and also, if I was to just get this adapter alone from B&H Photo, it'd be a waste to just buy this and ship it. It'd be better to buy with something else (I would be getting the SM4 from B&H, but I found it cheaper on Amazon through a diff seller so I am leaning towards grabbing it from there).

Quote:
Well I'd get a shotgun and I wouldn't go below (read cheaper) than the excellent sound/price RODE NTG-1 or G-2. Check their features and accessories out at the RODE site. The G-2 with its battery option would be good for boom and off camera use and you can use the SM4 shockmount.

RØDE Microphones - Our microphones

Cheers.
The NTG-2 sounds like a pretty good option. And on B&H Photo, this mic comes with the SM3 mount for the same price as the mic alone (but I should go with the SM4 mount right? What could I do with this extra mount?)
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #22
Inner Circle

You might need an adaptor to mate the SM4 to your K-Tek boom, I needed this one for mine and it's handy to have anyway.

General Brand | Microphone Reducer Bushing - 5/8" to | B&H

My new AT822 didn't come with all the accessories either, I thought I was getting a good deal but it was missing the AT shoe adaptor and the twin cables. By the time I got those...it wasn't a deal at all.

The SM3 has a shoe mount and won't fit your boom unless you can find a shoe to threaded adaptor somewhere. I think it's better to go the other way with the SM4. If you buy the NTG-2 at the top of the B&H page it's $249 saving $20.

I can see you're really watching the costs so check all this carefully if you don't want to end up wasting money, what I've got works for me but maybe not for you.

Cheers.
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I appreciate your responses as usual Allan...

Quote:
You might need an adaptor to mate the SM4 to your K-Tek boom, I needed this one for mine and it's handy to have anyway.

General Brand | Microphone Reducer Bushing - 5/8" to | B&H
Thanks for the advice Allan. It's only $3.70 so I've added it to my B&H cart with my $9.95 Audio-Technica | AT8469 Camera Shoe Mount to | AT8469 | B&H . Still seems a waste to place an order for just these two items (again, planning on grabbing the SM4 from an Amazon seller). Still trying to figure out if I should take Toenis Liivamaegi's advice over here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...tml#post940771 on getting the invision 7 | B&H Photo Video. He said there was no WindJammer, and I asked him what that meant exactly, and he took the time to explain the following:

Quote:
Hello,

The windjammer is that furry thing you see around the mics.
Basically there are two components in a mic mount the suspension mount
that the invision / is and a full wind protection often referred to as
Zeppelin, Blimp or a Windjammer. The cheapest viable full solution is th
Rycote S-Series full system but that is around $350 but the Invision has
the same schockmount as the S-System. SO basically you could purchase the
Invision 7 and make that furry thing around by your self. This is the
highest end system DPA WindPac and this
by far is the easiest to make
rcrds DIY MS-stereo microphone blimp just
check from the middle of the page how to make the windjammer part, the
cage and the furry thing. And remember the suspension like the invision is
the most important part then just make sure the furry part is not touching
the mic inside it and there you go. Imagine the Invision 7 to be that
shockmount on this picture
http://www.scotthandelvideo.com/Grap...cote_kit-4.jpg you just have to
come up with the cage and the furry cloth around it.

I hope this helps,
T
Any thoughts? $70's not too bad.

Quote:
My new AT822 didn't come with all the accessories either, I thought I was getting a good deal but it was missing the AT shoe adaptor and the twin cables. By the time I got those...it wasn't a deal at all.
Odd, this was a "new" AT-822 and it had missing accessories? Or did you mean you bought it used as well.

Well, a new one goes for $250 and I paid $125 used for my AT-822 (well.. $130 if you consider shipping). So far, the missing Audio-Technica AT8469 Camera Shoe Mount to 5/8-27" Threaded Base Adapter has set me back an extra $10. I wonder if that's all I should get - I don't think I need those twin cables.. at least anytime soon.

Quote:

The SM3 has a shoe mount and won't fit your boom unless you can find a shoe to threaded adaptor somewhere. I think it's better to go the other way with the SM4. If you buy the NTG-2 at the top of the B&H page it's $249 saving $20.

I can see you're really watching the costs so check all this carefully if you don't want to end up wasting money, what I've got works for me but maybe not for you.

Cheers.
Well, I think I'd like to always just keep my AT-822 mounted on my cam so with the SM4 I buy being used, I'm probably going to just need to get another mount for use w/ the Boom Pole and the mic I use with it. So I won't force myself to buy the SM3 (as I mentioned earlier in this post, I'm actually leaning towards the invision 7 | B&H Photo Video )

For the mic, I think I'm leaning towards the NTG-2 as per your suggestion too. I didn't know there was a $249 version with no mount, but that sounds like the one to lean towards. Would I need something else when using this mic with the pole I have and the mount I'm considering? Like another XLR wire, etc.

Thanks for noticing that I am watching my money - I'm just buying so many things at once so I'd like to save wherever possible. I appreciate all your advice though. I know you said that what you have use may not work for me, but I do need a place to start and your suggestions do seem pretty in line with other stuff I've read both in here and other forums (For example, minidisc.org where the AT-822 was first suggested to me). So I definitely would like to hear you out whenever you have advice and suggestions.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Allan,

just went ahead and purchased all the items you recommended from B&H Photo so I can start using my AT-822 with my Canon XH-A1:

Quote:

Rode ROSM4Q
Shotgun Microphone Shock Mount
$ 49.95

General Brand GBRB5814
Microphone Reducer Bushing - 5/8" to 1/4"-20
$ 3.70

Audio-Technica AUAT8469
AT8469 Camera Shoe Mount to 5/8-27" Threaded Base Adapter
$ 9.95

Sub Total
$63.60

Shipping
$4.95
I was holding off on placing this order because I was planning on getting the Rode ROSM4Q from an Amazon seller who had it for $15 cheaper than B&H. As a result, I didn't want to get just the two adapters from B&H alone - it seemed like a waste to just make a small purchase (shipping was 1/2 the cost of the items). However, seems it's not for sale anymore on Amazon so B&H became the way to go.

My used K-Tek | KE-110CCR Avalon Series Aluminum Boompole | KE-110CCR has arrived but I'm not sure how soon I can use it since I haven't gotten all the pieces I need. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the NTG-2 for the mic as per your suggestion. Also, I have the Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Minidisc recorder to record into.

But still need to sort out the windjammer & mount questions (I've gotten good advice over here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-thing...tml#post945852 ). Between the mic, the windjammer, and the mount, I might be looking at a bit of pricey purchase so I may look to get this gradually.

I also think I need to get a windscreen for my AT-822 because the used one I bought hadn't come with one. And on a unrelated to audio note, still need a bag for my camera.
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:

Odd, this was a "new" AT-822 and it had missing accessories? Or did you mean you bought it used as well.
Four years ago, my AT822 was new but they just didn't advertise that it didn't come with those accessories. Ha! I just got an e-mail saying that special is on again, same price $US199. But hindsight, I should have bought the one from B&H.

Yep, the NTG-2 shotgun will be great. Mostly you don't use your AT822 on your camera while you're using the NTG-2 on your boom. So to start with, you could use your SM4 shockmount for both. Here's the AT8120 windscreen that should come with the AT822.

Audio-Technica | Foam Windscreen (Large) | AT8120 | B&H Photo

It's foam and it's really only good for light breezes, you need a deadcat type for big winds outdoors. I have this RODE, it looks big but it does block wind much better than the AT8120 and it fits the AT822. Start with this but eventually get both.

RØDE Microphones - DeadKitten

Later you could consider the RODE WS-6 windscreen for your NTG-2. It (and the WS7) are the next best wind protection after my RODE Blimp and Rycote Zeppelin.

Set the A1 up, with your boom and pace out the average mic cable length you need, always overestimate. I'd get red (so you notice it) coloured Canare brand.

BTW at BnH log in to run up a cart, it'll stay longer before being deleted through not using it for a while. You can slowly stock it.

Cheers.
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #26
Major Player

I found that the Rode Dead Cat is not very effective at cutting out wind noise. It's better than the std foam pop-shield (which is for indoor use only!), but not much. The next step up is the Rycote Softie, which is a more complex foam shield, containing large air spaces, covered in short-haired fur. You can get them by themselves or integrated with a shock-mount and pistol grip. This is good in a moderate breeze. I use one on my NTG-1 with an extra layer of furry material around it, which I made myself with material from a craft shop. It's just sewn into a rough sausage shape about 1 inch larger diameter than the softie. This gives enough calm air space around the mic for most situations in the UK. The be fully protected, you need a proper basket ("zepplin"), but they are usually too large to mount on-camera, which I need to do most of the time.

HTH

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders