Audio Dials at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Dials

OK did a search for this and nothing found. I just opened all my external mics today and was playing with the audio level and noticed that the dials were responding opposite of how they are marked. So went through custom settings and theres nothing for reverse of audio dials. I take it i'm reading the label right as the white gets narrower the sound should get lower, but these are doing the opposite as the white gets wider the sound gets lower. Thanks for any help clearing this up.

John
John Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Contributor

Yes, the audio dials are counterintuitive. Down is up. Up is down. George Orwell would have liked the audio dials on the XH A1.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Griffin View Post
OK did a search for this and nothing found. I just opened all my external mics today and was playing with the audio level and noticed that the dials were responding opposite of how they are marked. So went through custom settings and theres nothing for reverse of audio dials. I take it i'm reading the label right as the white gets narrower the sound should get lower, but these are doing the opposite as the white gets wider the sound gets lower. Thanks for any help clearing this up.

John
Daft, isn't it? I've just about got used to it now.

I started a thread on this previously:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112673
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
I take it i'm reading the label right as the white gets narrower the sound should get lower, but these are doing the opposite as the white gets wider the sound gets lower.
Now wait a sec! Am I reading you right? Are you certain? If so, that's how I think we would ALL expect them to work... clockwise=louder, counterclockwise=lower. Forget the markings, forget the dials are mounted vertically & not horizontally... in fact, even if there weren't any of those silly markings, I would have expected them to work as I mentioned above when I first got my hands on the A1. And to this day at times I still will accidentally do this until I realize I'm not in CanonBackwardThinking mode... then go DOH! I forgot! Geesh!

Please clarify.

Last edited by Bill Busby; May 18th, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
i'm reading the label right as the white gets narrower the sound should get lower, but these are doing the opposite as the white gets wider the sound gets lower. Thanks for any help clearing this up.
WHAT!?!?! I have an A1 and if I adjust the audio and move the marker towards the larger white circles, the gain is INCREASED... just as you would expect. I don't know why your's is reversed???
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Exactly! That's why I'm waiting for clarification, because if his works this way... I want MINE to work that way (the right way:)... & I wonder, if in fact, his IS working that way, what the firmware version is. Maybe (well hopefully) we're on to something. It's always been one of my top 5 gripes about the A1.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Audio Dials

I understand the comment on the clockwise=louder, counter-clockwise=lower. But mine is the exact opposite, clockwise=lower, counter-clockwise=louder. If this a firmware issue, is it downloadable?

John
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Yikes! John, this contradicts your original post. You said as the indicator nears the larger dots, it gets lower & vice versa.

So... NOW my question is... look at these dots from the side of your camera & please tell me... aren't the larger dots on the bottom & the smaller ones on the top?
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Audio Dials

Yes the small dots are to the top and bigger dots to the bottom.

John
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #10
Major Player

Then your original post must be just a wrong play on words or something. You must have been thinking of how the direction of your thumb, for instance is, is moving instead of where the white arrow indicator is pointing.

Your camera is operating the way it was designed, no matter how "wrong" it is :)

Damn, I got all excited about the possibility of a firmware bit for nuttin :-\
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Dials

Sorry!!!! Should have said where the white triangles on rear of the camera get wider or narrower.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Major Player

But... it stays counter-intuïtive. For men, that is. This camera is a ladies toy: the potmeters on my wifes gas cooker (and on all gas cookers in Europe, I don't know about the States) turn counterclockwise for more heat. Guess we'll have to adress our other brain half for the sound dials.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Contributor

Our gas stove in the U.S. turns counterclockwise for LESS heat, but the electric one we replaced was the opposite.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM   #14
Major Player

I've never seen the audio dial thing as an issue as I look at the LED readout.

Looking at it now, though, I still can't see what the problem is. The dial markings are as they should be.

Anyway, works for me.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Our gas stove in the U.S. turns counterclockwise for LESS heat, but the electric one we replaced was the opposite.
Hurray for simplification and standardisation!
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders