Colour matching HV30 and XH-A1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #31
Major Player

Brian,

Can you please clarify which preset you use for outdoor....you just say above. Is it post 21 or 23?

Thanks for your time in testing and sharing your results.

regards,
Michael
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Its Preset #2 in post #21 .. I'm going to do some more testing on this with other outdoor scenarios and fine tune it some more with Canon Console, give me a couple of days to do this.
Brian Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I've made another effort to get the outdoor preset of the XHA1 to match the colour of the HV20 (see attached frame grabs), this time a natural daylight test (a well-light window sill on a cloudy day). I took several shots with the HV20 using different white balance settings .. Cloudy, Daytime and Auto. The HV20's auto setting can usually always be ruled out as it shows too much contrast and a blue colour cast, closest match to my original XHA1 outdoor preset (#2 earlier post) was the Cloud setting. Now I have benefit of Canon Console to more closely match I have modified this preset to the values below, most noteable alteration was reducing GGN (Green Gain) from 4 to -2 .. this darkened the greens to match the HV20's and I also tweaked RGM and GBM.

My recommendation is to use the Outdoor Daylight preset (below - which I call 'HV20-out' ) and set the XHA1 to either Daylight or Auto white balance (both are accurate and similar) and set the HV20 to P mode with its white balance set to Daylight or Cloudy depending on the conditions (but not Auto)

Indoors and under Tungsten lights use the Indoor Tungsten preset (also below - which I call 'HV20-in' ) and set the XHA1 to either Indoor or Auto white balance (again the XHA1 is quite accurate in Auto wb mode) and set the HV20 (in P mode) to Tungsten white balance.

INDOOR Tungsten (Left Column)
OUTDOOR Daylight (Right Column)
GAM: N , N
KNE: A , A
BLK: P , P
PED : -3 , -3
SET : 1 , 1
SHP : 3 , 3
HDF : L , L
DHV : 5 , 5
COR : -2 , -2
NR1 : L , 0
NR2 : 0 , 0
CMX : 1 , 1
CGN : 17 , 9
CPH : 2 , 2
RGN : 1 , -3
GGN : 0 , -2
BGN : 4 , 1
RGM : 31 , 37
RBM :-11 -12
GRM : -16 , 0
GBM : 32 , 10
BRM : 17 , 10
BGM :-26 , -1

In most circumstances the HV20 makes reds more orangey than reality and greens darker than reality, these presets are designed to replicate that for a good match.

PS: If you want to darken the greens a touch more in the XHA1 Tungsen preset then alter GGN from 0 to -1 or -2 depending on your preference!

Downloads (bottom):
PRESET01.CPF is 'HV20-out' (daylight) &
PRESET02.CPF is 'HV20-in' (tungsten)
Attached Thumbnails
Colour matching HV30 and XH-A1-xha1-hv20-daylight.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: cpf PRESET01.CPF (40 Bytes, 401 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET02.CPF (40 Bytes, 445 views)

Last edited by Brian Pratt; February 15th, 2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added Preset .cpf files
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #34
Regular Crew

In the post above I managed to match the colours in the picture but when I tried the preset in a landscape shot it didn't match at all, infact a preset that may match the HV20 in one situation can look wrong in another. I'm more interested in matching a 'landscape' type shot so I started again basing the preset on the one in post #21 and settled on the following ..

GAM N
KNE A
BLK P
PED -3
SET -2
SHP 3
HDF L
DHV 5
COR -2
NR1 0
NR2 0
CMX 1
CGN 9
CPH 2
RGN 0
GGN 4
BGN 3
RGM -8
RBM -15
GRM 8
GBM 2
BRM 13
BGM 10

.. This is used when the XHA1 in set to 'daylight' white balance and the HV20 is in P mode, daylight white balance and Custom set to ..
Brightness= 0
Colour Depth= -ve
Sharpness = 0
Contrast = -ve

I still use the Tungsten preset as above, I hope this is some use to someone.

New Preset 'HV20-out' below
Attached Files
File Type: cpf PRESET01.CPF (40 Bytes, 370 views)
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #35
Regular Crew

You may rest assured that I will be using it. You have my thanks for all your hard work. I've been using the presets with an HV30. It really cuts down on the coco in post.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM   #36
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pratt View Post
I've made another effort to get the outdoor preset of the XHA1 to match the colour of the HV20 (see attached frame grabs), this time a natural daylight test (a well-light window sill on a cloudy day). I took several shots with the HV20 using different white balance settings .. Cloudy, Daytime and Auto. The HV20's auto setting can usually always be ruled out as it shows too much contrast and a blue colour cast, closest match to my original XHA1 outdoor preset (#2 earlier post) was the Cloud setting. Now I have benefit of Canon Console to more closely match I have modified this preset to the values below, most noteable alteration was reducing GGN (Green Gain) from 4 to -2 .. this darkened the greens to match the HV20's and I also tweaked RGM and GBM.

My recommendation is to use the Outdoor Daylight preset (below - which I call 'HV20-out' ) and set the XHA1 to either Daylight or Auto white balance (both are accurate and similar) and set the HV20 to P mode with its white balance set to Daylight or Cloudy depending on the conditions (but not Auto)

Indoors and under Tungsten lights use the Indoor Tungsten preset (also below - which I call 'HV20-in' ) and set the XHA1 to either Indoor or Auto white balance (again the XHA1 is quite accurate in Auto wb mode) and set the HV20 (in P mode) to Tungsten white balance.

INDOOR Tungsten (Left Column)
OUTDOOR Daylight (Right Column)
GAM: N , N
KNE: A , A
BLK: P , P
PED : -3 , -3
SET : 1 , 1
SHP : 3 , 3
HDF : L , L
DHV : 5 , 5
COR : -2 , -2
NR1 : L , 0
NR2 : 0 , 0
CMX : 1 , 1
CGN : 17 , 9
CPH : 2 , 2
RGN : 1 , -3
GGN : 0 , -2
BGN : 4 , 1
RGM : 31 , 37
RBM :-11 -12
GRM : -16 , 0
GBM : 32 , 10
BRM : 17 , 10
BGM :-26 , -1

In most circumstances the HV20 makes reds more orangey than reality and greens darker than reality, these presets are designed to replicate that for a good match.

PS: If you want to darken the greens a touch more in the XHA1 Tungsen preset then alter GGN from 0 to -1 or -2 depending on your preference!

Downloads (bottom):
PRESET01.CPF is 'HV20-out' (daylight) &
PRESET02.CPF is 'HV20-in' (tungsten)
Thanks for this hard work and am using this preset with my HV20. I am finding that the indoor preset overall is very close to the HV20 but reds in the preset are too orangey. I manually set white balance in both cameras as general practice. What setting would I adjust in preset02 to make reds to be less orange/more red?
Mike Ponek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders