Custom Preset matching HV30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Custom Preset matching HV30

Kudos to Luc De Wandel created this preset to be used with XH-A1 to match the standard color output to HV30. I'm posting this preset on behave of his work with with his approval. He named the preset HV30HARD. I haven't tried it out yet but I'm excited to do so.
Attached Files
File Type: cpf PRESET19.CPF (40 Bytes, 463 views)
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Taky,

Do you know if this will match the HV20 also? I know they are pretty much the same cams but just wondering if you have any take on it.

Thanks
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If it matches HV30 it should match HV20 as well with the default settings (non Cine mode). However, I just test it with the XH-A1. It doesn't quite match yet. I guess will have to leave some feedback to Luc so he can continue to modify the preset values.
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Trustee

Also, by standad "color output" are you saying to set the HV20 to say TV mode or could I set the f-stop/shutter/gain manually? Also, I usually do a manual WB set on both cams (A1 & HV20). Is this correct or are you setting to a specific K?

I've got a dance recital shoot to do that starts this weekend and runs through the next weekend. Lighting is always a challenge with the bright costumes. I was contemplating using the spotlight mode on both cameras but was unsure if that would work. I've read some good and some bad reviews about it.

I usually set the HV20 so that at the brightest it won't blow out the whites and go fully manual on the A1 (the HV20 is usually unmanned for most of the shoot, just periodic checks and tape changes). Any thoughts or experiences would be greated appreciated.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #5
Major Player

The HV30 is not tweaked, and in 'tv'-mode. White balance for both cams has been adjusted using manual white balance (white card) before shooting. Adjustment has then been manually made on the XH-A1 while linked to an LG plasma monitor (not tv). Test was repeated afterwards with a calibrated Apple Cinevision monitor. Subjects were a human face for skin tones and different coloured items. I found a fairly good match, although the blacks were a little more compressed in the XH-A1. (more contrast, less detail).
For the dance recital I would use fully manual exposure on the XH-A1 as you do, and shutter pref. on the HV20. But that's just my way of handling it. Other suggestions are welcome.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I noticed the Preset #13 is kinda close to HV30's output. Maybe that could be a base you can tweak the color from? Just a thought :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders