Hawaii Surfing Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Hawaii Surfing Clip

Here's my first attempt to post a clip on-line. Hawaii State Surfing Championships 2008.
XHA1 - mostly 60i , f210, Vegas Pro 8. 34 minutes in length.
The DVD is real smooth in Architect widescreen NTSC MPEG-2. For Vimeo I rendered HD 1080 24p .wmv
It's a little jumpy on-line, actually really jumpy compared to the DVD and I'll probably take it off Vimeo in a couple of days, just wanted to see how to put a clip up and it took a couple of hours to render and upload for this small clip. Tried a couple of different formats, but the HD looks the best so far.

**Maybe someone on this forum can tell me something like "you should have pushed the x button instead of the y" to make it look better.**

I'm a true rookie with 1.5 months of filming and editing under my belt.
This clip is for fun, not $.

http://www.vimeo.com/1279591
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

that footage looks good. Seems your from Kauai. Im from Maui and I just bought the same camera and am an extreme rookie with filming. I really liked the way your footage looked though. What settings did you use?
John Cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice footage, colors, and slo-mo. One suggestion to make it more interesting would be to have gotten some close-up footage of the sufers...especially the slo-mo would be much more effective if we could see the surfers up close.

Posting video on Vimeo will always seem to stutter a bit. I switched to www.exposureroom.com Video plays back a lot smoother there.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks John, 60i f210 for the action, I really liked the first shot of Diamond Head, 7AM good light, and shot at 24F f60. I came up with a custom preset adding in a lot of color, but I think it's a little too sharp at +9. I hear that 0 to -3 takes away the video sharp look. I'm trying some footage with the TrueColor preset now and may tweak that to show off the color we have here in the islands. We're coming over to Maui next week for the Rip Curl contest in Lahaina, my son's in the event, hope there's waves. I checked out your 'Pools' footage, good stuff.
Great panning.
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ive tried a ton of different settings and cant seem to find one that I like to much, I know that there is better settings to use. Cool Maybe I will see you in Lahaina for the contest.
John Cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
Thanks John, 60i f210 for the action, I really liked the first shot of Diamond Head, 7AM good light, and shot at 24F f60. I came up with a custom preset adding in a lot of color, but I think it's a little too sharp at +9. I hear that 0 to -3 takes away the video sharp look. I'm trying some footage with the TrueColor preset now and may tweak that to show off the color we have here in the islands. We're coming over to Maui next week for the Rip Curl contest in Lahaina, my son's in the event, hope there's waves. I checked out your 'Pools' footage, good stuff.
Great panning.
Holy Cow, what I meant to say is frame rate of 210 for the action, and 60 for the other shot. The f stop was between 7 and 9 I think depending on the sun.

Here's a setting I made up and used, some of the shots in the film came out great, some were too washed out when I tried for the bright look. The colors are pretty good for blue water, but a bit too red for land shots. I probably need to tone down the color gains by half. I'm gonna tweak it till it's perfect.

I call it SurfSett:

GAM 2
KNE M
BLK M
PED -5
SET 1
SHP 5
HDF M
DHV 5
COR -5
NR1 0
NR2 0
CMX 2
CGN 25
CPH 0
RGN 25
GGN 25
BGN 25
RGM 25
RBN 25
GRM 25
GBM 25
BRM 25
BGM 25
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Marcel, thanks for the feedback and link to E-Room
I was pretty much maxed out on the telephoto for the shots, so I may have to look at an extension or adapter, don't know. I've got the wide angle WD72 on the way for scenery and closeups.
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #8
New Boot

nice video, your composition and image quality was spot on! and i just got back from watching nathan carvalho blow up at the NSSA nationals in san clemente with alot of other kauai kids.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Maassen View Post
nice video, your composition and image quality was spot on! and i just got back from watching nathan carvalho blow up at the NSSA nationals in san clemente with alot of other kauai kids.
We watched some of the video coverage on-line. Did you get any good footage?
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders