Capturing footage via black magic with A1. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing footage via black magic with A1.

(Edit, Yes, I know this is not possible) Greetings! I'm about pick up the glorious A1 here in about a week or so. I sold my jvc 110 (kind of a weird switch) and I'm super pumped about getting the a1, and returning to using a canon cam. My Xl2 rocked. I can't wait to start contributing on this forum as well!

Anywho! Right now, I'm using a macbook pro and fcp to edit... I eventually plan on getting a sweet desktop before too long. I know it's not possible to capture with the A1 through a black magic card period, or on my macbook, because that's not possible. (I'm planning ahead here) Wow, that was kind of confusing. But you guys are smart. But I got to thinking! Use a different cam to caputre. So... what consumer camera out there would let me capture, and convert through black magic. It'd be slick to not have to capture with my A1. I think JVC has one, but I can't recall... The main reason for all of this is, I keep hearing the hdv codec causes nothing but headaches, and the dvcpro codec is the route to roll, that's where the black magic card comes into play. Or... should I not even waste my time converting to dvcpro? Help me out here, brothas. Take it easy. Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward from hearing from ya.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Editing HDV is pretty painless these days. Part of it depends on which NLE you're using. It really hasn't caused me any issues.

As for the black magic card, it is possible to capture live video with the Black Magic Intensity Pro using the A1's Component output. But, of course, that would mean that you're tethered to a PC during your shoots.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm using fcp, 6.0.2. But I'm not playing it live, I'm shooting on tape and capturing to a computer...
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Contributor

If you're shooting tape, editing in FCP, just use one of the HDV easy setups and you're there. No hassle, it's just like editing DV. I shoot everything 24F and use the HDV1080P24 setup, make sure the sequence setting matches, and no problems at all. I'm on FCP 6.0.4, with a 17" Macbook Pro, 23" Cinema Display monitor, separate keyboard and trackball, and M-Audio BX5a speakers, WD firewire media drives.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Sweet, Bill. Thanks a lot, dude. If I were to shoot something in 60i, what easy set-up should I use?
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Contributor

HDV1080i60
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders