Ho'onua O Ke Kai Ocean Festival at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Ho'onua O Ke Kai Ocean Festival

Short promo trailer for a 2 day super fun ocean sports contest this past weekend.
No color correction yet. I hope I can make it look better, some of the shots look a little dark, but it may just be me looking at it too much.
It took forever to figure out how to get a good file size of under
200MB and still have the smooth HD for 5 minutes.
20 hours on location netted 400 clips on 3 hours of tape I need to sort through.
Here's the link to Exposure Room:

Kauai Surfing Association's 10th Annual Ho'onua O Ke Kai Ocean Festival By Bill Thesken On ExposureRoom

XHA1, Sennheiser MD46, Vegas 8
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Major Player

The video looks pretty good overall... A curves adjustment would totally help spike the clips in to some spectacular looking footage... On the audio side of things you may want to fade the BG audio track out and in as needed... Also, on the hand held mic interviews you only have one channell of audio going so you will probably want to click on the clip and go right channel only... You could also tweek that to give it a little more of a solid feel to it...

Good looking footage overall...
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Wow that was good advice.
Didn't even know the curves adjustment was in the program, it made for a quick and great adjustment of the color, mostly by moving the curve to the high and tight left side.
Also the audio: right click, channels, right only and voila it's like stereo.
I'll render again and resubmit. Many thanks!
Old August 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great video. I always love seeing good surf on video, although it makes me feel miserable about the quality of our surf here right now.... I'm in NYC at the momment and got to surf Rockaway beach yesterday.... fun but tiny!

I was going to suggest the same things regarding audio.

also, what i would have liked to see was surfing footage of the groms ripping mixed in with the interview of the guy. I felt like the guy speaking was interesting to listen to, but the interview was too long to be staring at for the entire time. If you showed the beginning of the interview and then clips of the kids surfing with a voice over of him talking about them that'd be pretty cool IMO.

keep up the good work!
Morgan Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Crossley View Post
Great video. I always love seeing good surf on video, although it makes me feel miserable about the quality of our surf here right now.... I'm in NYC at the momment and got to surf Rockaway beach yesterday.... fun but tiny!

I was going to suggest the same things regarding audio.

also, what i would have liked to see was surfing footage of the groms ripping mixed in with the interview of the guy. I felt like the guy speaking was interesting to listen to, but the interview was too long to be staring at for the entire time. If you showed the beginning of the interview and then clips of the kids surfing with a voice over of him talking about them that'd be pretty cool IMO.

keep up the good work!
Morgan, thank you, that is what I should do, cut the surfing action in with the voice over from the interview. I also thought it was too long of an interview, but it was interesting to me since I've been around the sport for awhile now, and got a fresh perspective from an icon.
I just reloaded the promo with color correction and audio correction, and will go back and remix video/audio and replace the vid on exposureroom.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Re-submitted with changes:

10th Annual Ho'onua O Ke Kai Ocean Festival By Bill Thesken On ExposureRoom
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders