Odd FCP capture issues with the A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Odd FCP capture issues with the A1?

I have a XH A1, My friend has an XH A1. We're shooting a campy horror movie using both cams.

So, I go to digitize the dailies and get everything set-up as I like it in FCP6. I use "create clip on start/stop" so I can have each take from the film individualized and arranged into proper scene bins, etc., etc.

When digitizing from my camera I get the scene breaks on the start/stop no problem. INdividual clips, yea! Just what I need.

When I put in tapes from my buddy's cam the stop/start function does NOT work. Same project, same settings, same camera model... (HDV 24p, btw) I even use the same image customize files loaded onto both cams. The 2 pieces of gear are as identical as I know how to make 'em.

I poured through the camera menus. I can't see anything that's different on my A1 compared to his A1.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm really stumped. I even tried using his camera for playback, same result. What's my camera doing that his is not? Is it a camera function that needs to be toggled on/off for the stop/start function in FCP to work? Is it just a hardware bug?

Any guesses or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Matthew Nothelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Your friends A1 most likely doesn't have the time/date set. Scene detection functions on NLE's are based on time of day code (TOD).
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:17 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Your friends A1 most likely doesn't have the time/date set.
Ah. You are indeed correct. This is cool news for me as I can fix the issue. Also, for those folks WANTING to capture huge clips of HDV (although I wouldn't recommend it) it's a nice work around if they have issues with the start/stop capture toggle switch in FCP.
Matthew Nothelfer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders