Sunrise/Sunset K Value at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sunrise/Sunset K Value

From what I can tell, most people do not white balance when shooting a sunrise/sunset to hold the warm orange/red richness of the scene. Has anyone found a temperature setting that works, or do most people use the AWB or the Sun setting? I used 5500K tonight and it looked fairly good on the view finder and on my LCD monitor. Not sure what to expect on a calibrated monitor.

Sean Malone
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't use auto white balance as it'll try to get rid of the orange cast that you're wanting!
Just use a regular white setting (ie 5600-6300), then you can also change it in post - these days white balances are so easy to alter that in very many cases people don't WB at all, just leave it on preset and shot match/colour balance in post. Also means that in a programme with several camera people working on it, if you all just shoot preset you're all getting a similar look to start with in the edit.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi there

Yes I do what Steve suggests and nearly always shoot in Preset.. unless it obviously looks wrong or there is mixed light (when I try for the best manual balance I can get. Head shots in the evening light can often give the subject a very orange complexion.. so a manual balance often works better.
A nice feature on the Z1 is the way you can tweak the preset colour balance with the Assign buttons.. I often cheat in a sunset situation and crank up the orange dominant.. It can give really nice deep colours to you sky, without looking false. A bit like the old Cokin sunset filters..

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I've got some more footage using 5500 to 6300 that I'll play around with in post. Now I need to get my monitor calibrated as good as I can to play with the white balance.

Thanks again.
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the SUN preset all the time for this kind of stuff. I actually use the SUN preset all the time outside. It gives me always some nice red/orange/purple coloured shots, just as intended.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders