35mm Adapter Lenses - Nikon or Zeiss? What do you use/prefer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm Adapter Lenses - Nikon or Zeiss? What do you use/prefer?

Hey all!

I don't have much experience with lenses, so...

Just a random thought, but I've been stumbling across some things about Nikon Lenses and Zeiss Lenses? I've read in some places that Zeiss has higher quality lenses that are way better than Nikon. But then I've read that Nikon lenses are still supreme to Zeiss especially with their wider range of lenses.

I only ask because I'm having trouble coming across decent new/like new Nikon Lenses and am willing to consider Zeiss if they are just as good.

I just don't want to buy just to buy and get a used lens thats actually not any good.

Is Zeiss better or is Nikon better? or is it really just a matter of opinion?

Do I buy brand new Nikon Lenses and wait 2-4 months for guaranteed new lense from Nikon? or risk buying used?

or just go with Zeiss lenses if they're comparable to Nikon lenses?

I don't know what to do and don't want to make a costly mistake...

Thanks for any responses! I appreciate any help for my inexperience with lenses...
Jeremy Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Trustee

Any lens can be used to good effect by creative and talented individuals.
In the same regard, even the most expensive high quality lens is nothing more than a doorstop when used by someone without a clue.

Both Zeiss and Nikon, as well as many other companies produce wonderful lenses.
It's all about personal choice!
I own many different lenses from different manufactures, but I would have to say my favorites are my Contax mount Zeiss lenses.

Good Luck with your quest!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #3
New Boot

I agree with David, can only add that from my experience Zeiss lenses produce sharper images than Nikon lenses.
Sergey Stefanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a Zeiss Planar lens in my bag and I am a Nikon cameras/lens user. Some Nikkor lenses are better than Zeiss and some worst. The quality has a price. If you buy fast (f:2,8)full format Nikkor lenses pro grade you don´t need to worry about Zeiss, sure. And for the same optics quality, Zeiss is more expensive.

Cheers.
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Any lens can be used to good effect by creative and talented individuals.
In the same regard, even the most expensive high quality lens is nothing more than a doorstop when used by someone without a clue.

Both Zeiss and Nikon, as well as many other companies produce wonderful lenses.
It's all about personal choice!
I own many different lenses from different manufactures, but I would have to say my favorites are my Contax mount Zeiss lenses.

Good Luck with your quest!
That is SO true! If you don't really know much about lenses just start with a cheap £50 50mm 1.8,they are available everywhere(in fact if you look on ebay you'll pick one up for as little as £5)
I personally use Canon EF lenses because that's what I use on my stills camera,but all the manufactures will be good.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #6
New Boot

Isn’t Zeiss Planar different to “real” Zeiss? At least price is well different.
Sergey Stefanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey Stefanovich View Post
Isn’t Zeiss Planar different to “real” Zeiss? At least price is well different.

A Planar is a real Zeiss lens.
Zeiss manufactures a number of different lens types, such as wide angle, telephoto, zoom, for example, which it calls... Distagon, Biogon, Planar, Sonnar, Tele-Tessar, Vario-Sonnar, Makro-Planar and so forth, depending on the style of lens.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

My Planar Zeiss lens is a 85mm f1,4. Really nice lens. Fast, sharp and very well constructed.
But, my Nikon 70-200 f:2,8 VR has one of the best bookeh I have ever seen.

Cheers
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Trustee

I'll never understand why people say things along the lines of "in the hands of a pro anything will do, and in the hands of the clueless a fine instrument becomes a paperweight." Isn't that a given?

There are three main reasons to get a new Zeiss over a new Nikon. 1) Zeiss lenses have longer focus travel, which means they are easier to finely focus by hand. 2) Their focus rings move more smoothly and have nicer dampening. 3) All Zeiss lenses have hard focus stops while some Nikons do not.

Used Nikons w/ manual focus rings will operate more like current Zeisses.

Both Nikon and ZF mount Zeisses focus backwards. So you'll need a follow focus with a reverse gear if you want them to focus in the same direction of a normal cine len.

Zeiss lenses are also color matched, but in practice it seems that the color variation from Nikon to Nikon is pretty minimal.

IMHO, get a used el-cheap-o 50mm 1.8 Nikon, and get comfortable working with it. Then you can expand your range to more expensive lenses.

HTH.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Peter, the cheap Nikkor 50mm f 1,8 is an awesome lens for its price. I would recomended it too.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders