OIS and monopods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Major Player

OIS and monopods

I understand the need to turn the optical image stabilization off while using a tripod with the XH-A1. Is the same true when using a monopod?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Stephen. This is the way I treat it, based on my own observations.

Where OIS helps most is on simulated locked-down shots that are not really locked down. Handheld is the most obvious example, but long tele tripod shots can also show shakiness, and OIS helps here too. Monopod shots will benefit from OIS until you try to do a smooth sweep and then the OIS will make the movement jerky.

In fact, if you use anything that allows you to get smooth movements, the OIS will tend to make those movements jerkier. This includes good handheld technique by the way - if you are very steady with the cam, OIS can make those slow pans worse.

The biggest no no situation regarding OIS is when using a 35mm adapter. I tried using a Brevis Flip with my XH-A1 and did not realise I was supposed to switch off the OIS. The reults was that every camera movement was jerky and most showed some back-and-forth hunting that made me think the tripod was bending! Just switching off the OIS suddenly brought it all back to normality.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Wrangler

I turn it off when I'm using a monopod, because I normally just plant it and shoot, but when I'm using the monopod as a cheap Steadicam, I sometimes turn the OIS back on, depends on the situation. I'm really hoping the updated XH camcorders give us the option to assign the OIS to a button!
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Stephen,
As one of the comfirmed local idiots, I leave OIS on all the time. I will get the occasional correction when I'm on a tripod, but it helps so much when zoomed in or using a monopod. We are all dealing in subtelty that our clients don't notice or care about.
Bill
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

To me it is such a shame that you cannot assign OIS on/off to a custom key rather than having to go into the menu.

Canon are you listening.

Paul W. H
Paul W. Hazeltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm still not sure of what I'm going to do, as sometimes I just "plant and shoot" and others time I mix in some panning.

It certainly would have been nice to have a button on the outside of the A1!
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders