Do you hear yours too? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Do you hear yours too?

So I finally decided to spend some time alone with my camera : ). I was in a near silent room and I was practicing zoom and focusing techniques. I noticed that when I zoom using the rocker, I can actually hear the servos moving. Kind of a rubbing sound i think? Should I be able to hear these?

I have used servos in the past in building projects so I know they do make noise...I just thought the A1 used some type of mystery solution that allowed silent operation ; ). Seriously though, does this mean anything? Or am I just dreaming of a camera that can operate with absolute zero sound? I have less than 100hrs on the cam.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nope, I can hear mine too. Funny, just realized it as well since I almost never record in such quiet conditions.
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Contributor

Every zoom lens I've ever used has made noise, but I never zoom when recording dialog so it's not a problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Major Player

good just making sure everything is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flynn View Post
Nope, I can hear mine too. Funny, just realized it as well since I almost never record in such quiet conditions.
If you really want to hear the servos go crazy turn on the high speed zoom ; )

glad I'm not the only one.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Trustee

I have heard it too. It can get awfully dammed quiet in a snow field. Depending upon your mic, it will pick it up. The on board mic definitely will.

That said, I've never had is spoil the audio. Not too many rocket zooms when shooting nature. And when you're shooting people, it's not likely to happen then either.

Forewarned is forearmed. Now you know and although you'll consider the issue from time to time, it'll be in your memory bank when you're out in the field.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Go Cycle

Purchase a Mic. isolater with a shock mount. RODE sells them as well as other audio suppliers. I think it is a SM-5.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you REALLY want to hear loud zoom noises, set the speed to high, and zoom while the camera is pointed straight up or down... i guess it does not like working against gravity!!!
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

idk how to word this

but does anyone of you, when you zoom with the ring, feel and hear friction noise?

i dont get it at all with the focus and iris ring

thanks
Janson Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders