dust in lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Inner Circle

dust in lens

Yesterday I noticed that during a recording I made with my xh-a1 that there were dust spots visible in the image, with some quick test I did today I counted 6 spots in total with 2 that are most obvious.
The lens itself is clean and I looked with a cameralight in the lens but couldn't see anything wrong but the dust(?) spots do appear, they only can be seen when I point my camera to the sky, during normal recording with a lot of detail, color etc they don't show, only when the background has an even colour, like the sky you can clearly see 2 and some other small but less noticeable spots.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Could it be dust on the sensor like you can have with digital photocamera's? The camera is about 2 montsh old so I found it strange that allready now this is happening.

I'm planning to send in the camera anyway since I have a firewire problem as well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Trustee

It's apparently not unheard of but by no means common. If you search the XH list here you will find a couple of reports of this happening. From what I remember from what I've read there's little you can do about it on your own as the lens is supposedly a sealed unit.

If your camera is still under warranty, there might be something you can do with it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Dead pixels?

Hi

Another possability is that you have dead/malfuctional pixels on the CCD:s. Sometimes I have noticed white spots im my filmed material which I believe is a pixel error. They show up sometimes when the background is dark. I don't know if dead pixels can show up as black spots but it might be possible. The reason you don't see them during "normal" recording is that they so to speak drown between other pixels.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders