XH-A1/XH-A1s for Wildlife & Nature - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #31
New Boot

There really is no perfect camera within the budget range you have stated. EX-1 and EX-3 have jello issues due to CMOS chips, HVX200 and HPX170 are not as sharp as Canon, all the other Sony's and the XH-A1 use HDV compression, and the XL-H1 and XH-G1 can bypass the HDV codec through HD-SDI but you would need to be tethered to a desktop or laptop. Soon there will be Scarlet which will offer up some interesting possibilities. I considered many of these when I purchased the A-1 and I've been delighted with my decision. I've also been delighted with Prospect HD and would definitely recommend at least Aspect or Neo for anyone dealing with HDV on a regular and/or constant basis. I'm also encouraged by the resale prices I'm seeing for the A-1 which indicate that they tend to hold their value. That makes upgrading down the line much less painful.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #32
New Boot

Hey Ralph, one A-1 user posted this http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/xh-series...tml#post975621 in the A-1 clips section. Kinda says it all for me!
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hey Ralph, I hope I'm not too late to chime in here but I did exactly what you're mentioning. I'm no pro by all means I have only been doing Still Photgraphy for about 19 months total. I do nothing but wildlife, mostly birds in flight. I made the jump into HD Video a couple months ago with a Canon XHA1. Here are my observations thus far, please take from them what you fnd useful, if anything.
1-There is a definite lack of information available when comparing Still Imaging to Video, epecially HD Video. I attribute this to how new HD is.
2-While some aspects (not many I have found in my case) from Still Imaging will help your transition into Video, it is a whole new ball game.
3-This forum, DVi, is the best source of help and info available.
4-Get ready to learn an entirely new language and sharpen up your comuter skills.
I hope this helps Ralph, good luck!
Tim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders