Basic Canon Console capture using XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Basic Canon Console capture using XH A1

I am going bananas.

I cannot believe that Canon seriously expect me to fork out for Console when it is so unbelievably unintuitive and user unfriendly.

However, as I have tried many alternative programs that have failed to connect or communicate effectively with my camera, it seems I have no alternative but to figure out how to capture footage from tape on my XH A1 to my PC hard drive using Console.

Can someone enlighten me? I need you to give me the very basics - including what mode the camera should be in. I can happily record to tape and hard drive simultaneously in Ext Cont mode, but that's no freaking use when I want to capture stuff I film and have filmed when the camera isn't attached to the computer. Is what I want to do even possible, or am I barking up the wrong tree trying to use Console for this at all?

Help much appreciated!
Donal Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I gave up on Console, but have had great success using Adobe OnLocation with my XH-A1.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Have you tried HDV split? It is free, & works perfectly. I have succesfully used it to capture live as well.

Good luck,

Bryce
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #4
New Boot

HDV Split

Yup, tried HDV Split, that didn't work. Can't remember exactly what its problem was, whether it wouldn't acknowledge the camera or what, but gave up on it without success. Did you manage to make it work with the XH A1?
Donal Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Trustee

My XHa1 connects nicely with Adobe OnLocation CS4. We earlier bought the Console software, which imho is an overpriced PITA, thinking to use it to calibrate our cameras to NAB when we have to provide broadcast video in pool situations...definitely not very helpful. It has some remote value in setting up the presets in the camera but not much more than that. For $600 I expected more. / Battle Vaughan/ miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Trustee

HI Donal,
Yes it works no problem. Am i correct in assuming you are not able to capture to any software so far? If this is true, maybe you have a firewire problem, not a software problem. Also, what is the camera set to when you are trying to capture your footage?

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders