Why the sudden price change 500 more at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Why the sudden price change 500 more

i was just looking at b&h and i noticed the xh-a1s are 500.00 more than yesterday.. i was just thinking of getting it to.. guess im sticking with the a1 and letus : - I

does anyone know the reason for this?
Corey Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Been coming for a while...........

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...s-nz-soon.html

The US is not immune.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Hill View Post
i was just looking at b&h and i noticed the xh-a1s are 500.00 more than yesterday.. i was just thinking of getting it to.. guess im sticking with the a1 and letus : - I

does anyone know the reason for this?
Not sure what I am missing here. XH A1s same price as usual?

Canon | XH-A1s 3CCD HDV Camcorder | 3238B001 | B&H Photo Video

XH A1 at around $3K. Wish I could have paid that a year ago.

:)
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

The strong yen is hurting the Japanese electronics industry and some companies are raising prices. Not sure about Canon, but I saw a story about Sony raising prices recently.

Dollar falls to 13-year low against yen: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
The dollar's fall to as low as 88.12 yen -- the lowest since August 1995 -- puts additional pressure on Japan's exporters, whose overseas earnings shrink as the dollar weakens against the yen.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Canon will be raising prices by 10 to 15 percent
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
Canon will be raising prices by 10 to 15 percent
Interesting. I haven't seen anything from Canon indicating that, but some price reaction is to be expected given the Yen's strength against major world currencies.

On the other hand, global currency valuations have been in a spastic state of flux since the world's economy started to crater. Since last August, the US$ went from about 110 Yen down to about 89 at the close yesterday. The Euro and the Pound Sterling are trying to equalize. The currency markets are reacting to a bunch of things, including each government's moves to prop up their economies. For example, the US$ fell to near 87 around the recent US "Fed" move.

I say this because there is so much volatility in so many segments of the world's economies, including the currency markets, it would be quite hard to forecast where prices might be for any products even as little as three months out. A price increase of 15% for Canon products would be a stunner in this context.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Another factor. The collapse of the container shipping industry means containers of goods are piling up in Asia. Fewer goods means higher prices.

This report was on CBC News a couple weeks ago.

YouTube - Shipping Sinking
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Wrangler

Yeah, it's very hard to know where things are heading. With the terrible economy, people just aren't buying much. That might drive prices lower. OTOH, it might also cause the supply of electronics stuff to dwindle because retailers don't want products piling up in their stock rooms.

But if you're working, and if you can afford a new camera then you should be happy. :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Leong View Post
Another factor. The collapse of the container shipping industry means containers of goods are piling up in Asia.
We're all living under that old Chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times". Things are so interesting that this situation has turned around, according to a report on CNBC yesterday (Thursday). Now, that could change on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Leong View Post
Fewer goods means higher prices.
True, if demand remains the same. A similar drop in buyers mitigates the pricing pressure. That's a possibility in market.

If anyone says they know what's going to happen in the economy tomorrow, next week, or next month, they're lying. Even the really smart guys are throwing out nothing but SWAGs.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #10
New Boot

very strange indeed:

On this B&H webpage, the cam is $3999

BUT on this B&H webpage, the same cam appears to be $2999 (thousand bucks less) !

Canon | XH-A1 3CCD HDV Camcorder | 1191B001 | B&H Photo Video

what's the difference?
Stephen King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen King View Post
very strange indeed:

On this B&H webpage, the cam is $3999

BUT on this B&H webpage, the same cam appears to be $2999 (thousand bucks less) !

Canon | XH-A1 3CCD HDV Camcorder | 1191B001 | B&H Photo Video

what's the difference?
These are two different Cameras, the original release and the updated release:

XH-A1 (original) $2,999.

XH-A1s (with the "s" at the end, the updated model, just released) $3,999.

There are extensive discussions about here on the differences and the value of the new features in any given situation.

If I were buying now, I would buy the new "s" model and pay the extra. However, the picture is the same on both.

With the new model out, the original is a good deal for a "B" cam, and there might be some really good deals on used original models that would be great for a "B" and a "C" cam.

(I am not upgrading my XH-A1, because I also have a JVC-110, and I am very interested in the new JVC small camera that is supposed to be available or be near to be available about NAB time. Incidentally, I understand that the target price for this camera is also $4,000.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders