Which camera should I buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Which camera should I buy?

Hello,

I am new in the forum and this is my first post. I am a producer and I don't understand many of the technical stuff.

I need to buy a digital camera with this specifications:

1. For broadcasting use (mostly TV movies and musical videos)
2. Excellent picture quality in available light situations
3. Budget around the $2,000 and $4,000

The most recent videos I've produced were shot with a Canon XL II, that's why I feel more into buying a Canon camera. I've read about the Canon XH A1 and it's new model XH A1s but I am open to other brands and models.

I appreciate your opinion.

Thanks.
Rolando
Rolando Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm in a good mood so I'll respond ; ) If you do a search I think there is a "which camcorder should I buy thread" thread. Anyhow, in the price range you probably want an XH G1. They should be a little cheaper now that the new version is out.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Trustee

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/open-dv-d...uy-thread.html is the small discussion on this topic. The later pages are more recent, but actually it's all worth a read through if you have the time. Let us know, say by next Christmas, when you've read it and we'll be happy to answer further questions:-)

I think John may be right with in recommending the XH-G1, but in a way, you might as well ask where you should go on vacation this year. Ultimately only you can answer this. Have a read through the Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders - The Digital Video Information Network forum threads and if you have time, look into the Sony, Panasonic and JVC ones too. Also, consult one of the sponsor dealers who will have the time and the expertise to advise you on what might be best for your needs and budget. Good luck!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Major Player

XH-G1 it has SDI connection perfect for broadcast
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
XH-G1 it has SDI connection perfect for broadcast
In order to use this conection I can't record to tape right? If that is so, if I record with the SDI conection to a Macbook do I need a software?

Honestly the HX G1 / G1s are out of my budget. Could the XH A1s do the work for me (TV movies / music videos)? Should I consider other brands like Sony or Panasonic?

The last video we produce has two version one shot with a XL2 and a second one shot with a Cybershot and edited in Final Cut. The one we did with the Cybershot was broadcasted in comercial TV.

Here is the link for the Cybershot version: YouTube - ROLA - PASOS (Elliot Diez cut)

XL2 version: YouTube - ROLA - PASOS (Norris / Alfaro cut)
Rolando Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #6
Trustee

If you are a producer and don't understand technical stuff,
why on earth are you going to buy a low budget video camera?

Why not rent a camera based on the budget of the project & the recommendation of the director of photography?

By the way, what's wrong with the XL2 you were using?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
If you are a producer and don't understand technical stuff,
why on earth are you going to buy a low budget video camera?

Why not rent a camera based on the budget of the project & the recommendation of the director of photography?

By the way, what's wrong with the XL2 you were using?
We want to have equipment of our own, and have the freedom to have it available 24/7 at our own will. The XL2 is not ours and at the moment we simply don't have the budget to buy expensive stuff. We don't offer video services we produce and promote our own stuff.
Rolando Lugo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders