Frame Rate Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Frame Rate Advice

I’m a newbie to the video community and could use some advice. Doing much reading on this forum I have come to the conclusion that I should shoot at 30F, please let me know if I am wrong. I’m using Final Cut Pro as my NLE and will be shooting indoors with a green screen.

My work is to be viewed via the web (YouTube or Viemo) or given on a CD/DVD to be viewed on a computer. I would guess that the CD/DVD will be much less than 5% of my need. The videos with be instructional videos on how to do a task, so they are totally technical in nature. I have no interest in making these look like they were done on film, I’m just wanting the highest resolution.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Contributor

Why don't you shoot some tests to see which you like best.

All my training shows go to the web, and I do everything in 24F. I shoot 24f, capture in the FCP HDV1080P24 mode, edit in 23.98 timeline, export to H.264 then convert to Flash, with the final product being 24 fps. Some people shoot 30F and then reduce frame rate to 15 fps for the web, but that slower strobing thing drives me nuts. My rational is that 24 is 20% less than 30, so it's that much less data and it can still go at the rate I shot it in, and since it's progressive, no funky artifacts or need to deinterlace.

Best thing is to do some tests to see what works best for what you're doing.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So are you using 24F over 30F just to save on the file size?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Major Player

What's your subject? Will you be wanting to slow any of it down?
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No slomo needed. The subject is showing all about cleaning D-SLR Sensors.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Curt. It sounds as if 30F will be fine for you. 24F requires more care in shooting to avoid jerky movements.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Trustee

30p or 24p will both work for you. In many situations, I favor 24p. For others it's all 30p or 60i. It all depends upon the content and the delivery method.

Perhaps the approach I took in branching out into new frame rates might give you some ideas. When I first got my A1, I shot 60i all the time for everything. About six months in, I was shooting mostly motor racing so 60i was preferred because I need slomo. Once the racing season was over, I'd become pretty comfortable with the camera and what it was capable of and I felt it was time to try new things. This included 24p. Nature, news reports, docos can benefit from a 24p treatment.

It's just what I did and it may not work for you. Just some food for thought.

BTW: I'm with Bill for 24p for the Web in most cases. Can't fight the logic.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

What does 24P offer over 30P other than file size? If 24 progressive frames in a second is good wouldn't 30 be better or can the eye not tell the difference? I went to a mini seminar put on by Canon over the Christmas season that was geared at helping the consumer choose the right consumer video camera. In this 2 hour workshop they showed us similar sceenes shot at 24P, 30P and 60i. If I remember correctly, the 30P appeared to be clearer and sharper than 24P. They also explained that the 24 frame rate was for those who wanted their output to look more like film.

What is the disadvantage of shooting at 30P?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I read recently that Vimeo converts all videos to 24 or 25 fps. Everything I've uploaded to Vimeo has been 30 (deinterlaced from 60i) and there's always been a little herky jerkyness to it. Just fyi.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I use 1080 50i with no problems. I output 720 mpeg and then compress it with H.264 with a bit rate of 0.8 Mb/sec. Due to the nature of H.264, the file size for 15 and 25 frames/sec is essentially the same, so I use 25fps.

We host the video on our own server and use the JW viewer on our pages.

Here's my current favourite:
Amanda Palmer, Danger Ensemble, Zoe Keating and Jason Webley live in concert: video clip Festival Previews Video Blog

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:09 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rothschild View Post
I read recently that Vimeo converts all videos to 24 or 25 fps. Everything I've uploaded to Vimeo has been 30 (deinterlaced from 60i) and there's always been a little herky jerkyness to it. Just fyi.
Vimeo converts everything to 24fps. I'm not sure how they handle 30p uploads, but for PAL 25p they just discard one frame per second (which is horrible). Hopefully with revenue from Vimeo Plus they will improve on that.

Richard
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:23 AM   #12
Trustee

Please delete.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hunter View Post
Vimeo converts everything to 24fps. I'm not sure how they handle 30p uploads, but for PAL 25p they just discard one frame per second (which is horrible). Hopefully with revenue from Vimeo Plus they will improve on that.

Richard

Are we sure about this as the tutorial my NLE on Vimeo HD Video Encoding for Vimeo using Compressor on Vimeo has you creating a 30fps file for submission? I haven't done the research yet on best HD for YouTube.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Fargo View Post
Are we sure about this as the tutorial my NLE on Vimeo HD Video Encoding for Vimeo using Compressor on Vimeo has you creating a 30fps file for submission? I haven't done the research yet on best HD for YouTube.
Hi Curt. I just checked the Vimeo forums, and this post from 2 days ago indicates that it still doesn't support 30p playback.

Need 30p support in vimeo to avoid 5D MKII issues in the Vimeo Feature Requests Forum

But I also found this post

Staff Blog / Vimeo Plus, now available for everyone!

and the good news for PAL folks is that 25p is now supported. Thanks Curt for making me find that!

Richard
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM   #15
Trustee

Vimeo has supported 30p for about eight or nine months. I new that 25p was in the offing for the PAL folks.

Before they supported 30p if you uploaded a 30p video, in the transcode to flash it would unceremoniously drop the last six frames each second. It wasn't just herky-jerky. It was spastic.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders