XH A1 under arctic conditions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XH A1 under arctic conditions

I just returned from the north of Finland, filming a hot air balloon event under arctic conditions. I filmed 16:9 SD at temperatures of down to -27 degrees. May be it's interesting, what I experienced.

-Basically I followed the tips from some experienced guys here in the forum (especially by Trip Woelfel), and that really helped a lot: Avoiding quick movements from cold to warm, renting a special Porta Brace cover (I think it was the Polar Bear) and handwarmers to protect the camera, setting the Zebra to 100, etc. Unfortunately I didn't carry enough handwarmers with me, so these things expired after a while. Nevertheless, I had to continue filming, and the cam showed some effects:

#Focus and zoom ring became quite 'stiff' and where hardly usable anymore, especially if you wear gloves. After a while I switched the focus to 'automatic' - with good results. The iris ring worked normally.

#Had one single 'slack' warning ('remove the cassette'), but the A1 continued to record anyway. And did so flawlessly for three days. Tapes: Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ

#Couldn't use the LCD because of the cover and stayed with the viewfinder. It showed a kind of 'slow mo effect' after a while but remained functional.

#battery lifetime was decreasing compared with normal conditions (may be 30% less). But not as dramatic as I had expected. The original CANON battery did better than a no name equivalent, I also carried with me.

#Regarding additional equipment: No problems whatsoever with the mics (Beyerdynamic MCE 87, Sennheiser ME66), but my Manfrotto tripod (501 head) got somehow 'frozen' inside, so that pans became kind of hard work.

Conclusion: The XH A1 may well be used under temperatures VERY MUCH below the temperature recommended in the manual. The most serious problems: Cold fingers and the steam of your own breath, that may be seen in the picture. So I learned to stop breathing when pushing 'record' ;-)

Last edited by Jan Luethje; February 9th, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow thats great info! Thanks for sharing.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I film 90 % of my work in below freezing conditions. The "slo mo" effect usually shows up around 15 degrees F. but has no affect on what is actually recorded. I had one drop out early season on me which i blamed the tempature for but now after doing more recording at cold temps i dont think that was the culprit.
Craig Stay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

-27 Celsius = -16.6 Fahrenheit
So it was cold above! I also have good results shooting HD in a very cold environment, I think the inside battery is a good thing to have.
Raymond Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Jan... As others have said, great info. You either heartier than I, or have warmer clothes than I do. (grin)

You're right that the A1 was not designed for use with gloves on, but I got a pair of snug fitting lambskin gloves with fleece lining. While most of the buttons and switches are still inoperable with them on, I can hit the autofocus, white balance and a few other buttons. The three rings are quite usable. Not sure the gloves would do enough at -27C though.

I was thinking about getting some 1.5 mil scuba gloves and see what they might do. Something form fitting might give better control.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Tripp, I was just lucky, that I was equipped by a Finnish rental service with some kind of 'outer space suit'. Underwear and gloves I bought in Germany. Especially the gloves did well (better they did; cost me about 90€) Kind of 3 in one thing, that allows you to operate even small switches - well, within some limitations.

VAUDE Handschuh Argon Event 3in1 gloves, schwarz: Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit

Craig, I agree, the slow- mo thing is just a viewfinder effect, not to be seen on tape.
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for your information, Jan!

I will be shooting a part of a music video this Saturday at about -2C or -4C.
I don't have a furry coat for my XH, but I've got a rain cover.
So I'm thinking of putting a scarf around my camera, then putting it inside the rain cover for the shoot, or maybe the scarf is unnecessary?
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andris Krastins View Post
...or maybe the scarf is unnecessary?
You won't need the scarf. You'll only be a couple of degrees below freezing. The rain cover will be enough.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders