Any tricks to get editing software to find canon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any tricks to get editing software to find canon

I have a canon XH-A1 and a Canon HV-30
I use a mac (Final cut express) it will not recognoze my cameras
I also use Avid liquid no luck there either

I am trying to capture HD footage
Both just state devise is not ready

I movie picks them up no problem

Any help would be appreciated

Eddie
Eddie Pelfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Trustee

workaround

You could try using iMovie 06 (available as free download if you have iMovie 08) to import the HD footage, and then control-click the iMovie file and select "Show Package Contents." The QT movie clips will be in the "Media" folder, and can be dragged in to another folder and then to FCE.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've run into that problem as well. The only fix I could figure out, is have your camera connected to the computer and turned on before you start FCP. I can't figure out how to make FCP recognize it if I don't do it this way. Refresh AV devices doesn't seem to work like the SD cams I have used in the past.

Hope this helps until someone posts a better fix. I'm new to the A1
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey View Post
I have a canon XH-A1 and a Canon HV-30
I use a mac (Final cut express) it will not recognoze my cameras
I also use Avid liquid no luck there either

I am trying to capture HD footage
Both just state devise is not ready

Any help would be appreciated

Eddie
Hey Eddie,

I happen to have the same setup as you do ( the XHA1 along with FCE) and I have found that the best way for me to capture footage onto my mac (unibody MBP) was to rewind my tape to the point where I want to begin capturing and place it into VCR/Play mode. I then connect my camera to my computer (via firewire) and go to: File... Capture... For me, it automatically starts capturing my footage from my camera.

When it is completed capturing, I usually just hit esc and this ends the capture mode.

I hope this helps, as it works for me (with a similar setup) but I am not totally sure as to what your setup is or how you currently are trying to capture your footage.

Good luck!

~Pete
Peter Kimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey View Post
Can you capture/edit your footage in HD in Imovie? I'm asking this as I had the same problem with windows were only moviemaker would recognize my camera but I only could capture and edit in SD. Changing a setting in the camera solved the problem.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

I have used Avid Liquid 7.2 to capture from both the XH-A1 and HV20 for about 18 months now. I can get either HDV or DV from them. When the cameras are in DV mode, you see will the Windows "new hardware" dialogue, offering you a list of things you can do with the camera. In HDV mode, you don't see this dialogue, but the camera is connected all the same. You should see a new icon on the camera's LCD, saying something like "HDV/DV IN".

There's a bit about capturing from HDV cameras in Liquid's PDF manual, and a couple of threads on the Pinnacle/Avid support forums.

A couple of things don't work properly for HDV though:
* HDV capture only works properly in the "Logging Tool". Don't bother with "EZ Capture".
* There are problems with batch capture from HDV (logging in- and out-points then going back and capturing the logged sections). I just run the tape then hit the "capture" button.

HTH
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Check this thread, it might help.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...er-xp-pro.html
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #8
New Boot

In FCE, make sure that you have HDV1080i60 (or something to that effect) selected under the 'Easy Setup' preferences.

That could be the root of your problem right there.
Jeff Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders