To switch or not to switch... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

To switch or not to switch...

Hi guys...I've been lurking on this area of the board learning a ton from the collective knowledge and by using the search. I also have recently decided to turn my hobby of video into a very part time side business. As such I think I need to start being more careful about the tape stock I use in my camera. I have two XHA1's. The first one I bought probably two years ago and it has had about 20 tapes through it. When I bought the camera the advice I got was it didn't matter what type of tape I used as long as I didn't change brands...so I have used cheap JVC DVM60ME's because they are cheap. I just recently picked up a second XHA1 that has always been used with a firestore...it has had less than one full tape through the drive its whole life. I will continue to use it with the firestore, but want the tape for backup.
So my question is...should I change to a better quality tape for both cameras? If I do I know I will need to run a tape cleaner through them both...should I use JVC's cleaner? That seems to be conventional wisdom. I also read that I should stick to either wet or dry cleaners depending on what tapes I used...does anyone know if these cheap JVC tapes are wet or dry? I'd love to stay with the cheap tapes, but if there is really a quality difference (I haven't had any dropped frames yet) I will change to something more expensive. Thanks for your thoughts...
P.S. I am just about to get a HV20 to use as a deck...which has had unknown tapes in it...
Andrew Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #2
Trustee

I'm not familiar with those tapes so I cannot comment their quality. Tape is such a commodity that even those brands that many consider high quality and suitable for HDV is still quite inexpensive. Call me a follower, but when I made the jump to HDV 18 months ago I searched around for the tape that the most experienced users liked and bought a case of it. I chose the Panasonic AMQ and have shot over 250 of them without much issue. Yes, there have been dropouts... about one every three tapes.

If you research these boards, I think you'll find that if you pick a tape to use, you should clean the camera's heads with a dry cleaner and simply start with your new tape. If the JVCs work for you, stick with them.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dryden View Post
...so I have used cheap JVC DVM60ME's because they are cheap.
I was told by a local tape supplier that they only sell those cheap JVC tapes to schools, because for one thing, that's all they will buy. Secondly... no one else will buy them because of their ultra low quality.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Contributor

I started with the AMQ but had dropouts on some tapes. Switched to the twice-as-expensive Sony PHDVM Digital Mastering tapes and haven't seen a dropout since then. I know of one organization who shoots a lot more tape than I do and they use the cheaper Sony Premium, and as far as I know they haven't had any problems. The Panasonic seems to vary a lot. First case I bought was fine, then the second batch had lots of dropouts, not every tape but probably 3 out of 10, which is horribly unacceptable.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sounds like I should switch then to at least something a little better. Does anyone know if I need to find a JVC cleaner tape or can I use the sony cleaner tape I already have? Thanks.
Andrew Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Contributor

No need to buy a JVC cleaner tape. Use the Sony. But read the directions and follow them. Usually they say to use it for 10 seconds maximum. Using it properly is good, overusing it is not good. What I'd do is buy some new tapes, then use the head cleaning tape, then test out the new tape to make sure it's all OK. Record maybe 10 minutes of stuff, stopping and starting a few times., then play it back a couple of times.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Trustee

Two reliable tapes seem to be:
Sony Premium (for SD and some use for HD) Under $3 each
Panasonic AMQ (for HD, or SD, too, if you want) under $6 each (a price drop the last year)

For JVC HD HDV cameras many use
JVC ProHD tapes (under $10 tape)

It seems that it's not a recommended idea to mix Sony and Panasonic tapes on a regular basis, even when using a cleaning tape. However, it's possible JVC and Panasonic tapes are made by the same people, but maybe not. Should different tapes from the same manufacturer be mixed? There is debate on that.

For single use, the Sony Premium tapes, even for HD, seem to work fine for many people for general use.

If a tape is going to be re-used, accessed a number of times for capturing, used for critical work that should be archived, a more expensive tape with a stronger base and better chemicals is suggested.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders