.m2t conversion ware needed for use w/A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

.m2t conversion ware needed for use w/A1

What software is recommended to convert the .m2t files from the Sony MRC1 recorder that I'm using with my XH-A1 to an AVI format ?
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Your NLE software should take the .mt2 files and you should be able to do whatever you want with them from there. Why do you want .avi files?
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Trustee

I'd recommend first using the Sony Software found by Darin Clifton in this post

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...ttom-line.html

to pull the files off of the CF card. This little program will rebuild long scenes into one file. If you look through the posts you'll notice that if your scene is long enough to require the file to be larger than about 4 GB the unit will automatically create another file since it can only take FAT32 formatting. If all you do is try to connect the multiple files in post you get dropped audio and video frames. If you use the Sony program it has no drops.

Depending on what you want to do with the files you an use a number of programs to transcode from the m2t files. Most current NLE's will take the m2t's directly or you could use a program like Super to transcode to a variety of formats. Or, you could use a program like CineForm to convert to an intermediate AVI codec.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the Sony software to pull the clips- no problem there. I have a basic edit program and a pc that can't handle the HDV workload during edit. I do my own rough edits in .avi then burn to dvd for our local tv show. My HDV tapes ( and now .m2t files) will be copied to external drive and passed along to our editor for final edit & transfer to Beta for the major networks. ( I shoot for a couple of outdoor shows that are on Outdoor Channel, Pursuit, & Sportsman Channel ).

I found this : Video Converter, DVD Ripper, MP4 Converter, Zune Video Converter, 3GP Converter, PSP Video Converter, iPhone Video Converter which seems to work fine .

I'm always open to better suggestions. I just want to use .avi for my own rough work - and leave the HD files intact for final production work.
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Premier elements won't read m2t files directly, but MPEGstreamclip converts them easily. Especially on my PC that seems to be showing its age and stumbling its way through PE4.

Actually, with MPEG streamclip, I'm trimming the clips before converting them - thus doing away with the extra lead-in time from using the cache option.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders