Avid's MC 3.5 Supports 24F at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 10th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Avid's MC 3.5 Supports 24F

Just wanted to let you guys know that Avid's most recent version of Media Composer supports Canon's 24F format. I've read a lot of about workarounds for 24F, so I thought I'd post this in case some of the Avid users missed it.

Canon 24F in 3.5 - Avid Community
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Contributor

It's about time! Had they done that 3 years ago I'd be on MC today instead of FCP.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't mean to necro an older thread, but I've read some slightly disturbing info about the 24F fix on Avid's Community forums.

I'm still on MC 2.8, and was looking at sinking the money to upgrade to 3.5 for the sole purpose of native 24F support. But apparently, according to several users, MC doesn't capture timecode on 24F footage, making batch-captures impossible.

The way I read it was, I'm still better off using Premiere for Canon XH footage. I'm tired of workarounds for this sort of thing. I thought they fixed it but it appears to be just a bone thrown at us Canon users.

Can anyone else confirm, or do you know a way to fix this lack-of-timecode issue?

Mike Browning
Mike Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Contributor

Makes you wonder why FCP did it in 2006, Sony Vegas did it about a year or so later, and Avid still can't get it right? What's that all about....
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

No joke. Bill, I assume you haven't gone back to MC since this update?

I'd like to know others' first hand experience with this update. I may be saving the money and just adopting FCP as well, when and if they announce FCS 3. Oughta save me at least a grand by doing that anyway lol
Mike Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Contributor

Nope, I've grown happy with FCP. I started editing with Avid's MC in about 1996, bought expensive upgrades until about 2003, and we had two full systems, then switched to their XpressPro which did everything we needed that MC did at much less cost. Then when everybody thought they were dropping Mac, we moved to FCP. Then in 2007 I started doing a different sort of production for somebody else and needed to buy a new system. I thought about going back to Avid because it was faster and easier than FCP for the type of editing I'd be doing. However, I had also switched from big cameras to the XH A1 and was shooting everything 24F. That let Avid out of the picture entirely.

And, quite frankly, once you get really proficient with FCP, you can edit just about as fast with it as Avid, and it's better for some things, not as good for others, so they end up about equal. And FCP has no problems with 24F. There's a book I found essential when moving from Avid to FCP. It's "Final Cut Pro for Avid Editors." Until I got that book, FCP seemed hopeless to me. Now I like it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders