Best way to edit footage from XH A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Best way to edit footage from XH A1?

I have managed to capture the footage using Sony (whatever it's called) version 8. I would have preferred PP CS3 if it would pick up the camera correctly. But thats another story.

Once the footage is captured and saved as an m2t file what is the best way to edit and play with the footage without losing anymore quality than the already compressed file. (Dam I wish these cameras outputted RAW data, but then we would all need RAID arrays in our bedrooms!).

I.e I edit together a sequence from different footage all shot with the A1. I then need to get this over into After Effects to overlay some graphics, i.e me holding a light saber or something else geeky like that. (oh come on! I'm sure we've all tried it at some point!?). Is it wise to compress the video at all before it gets to AE or leave it uncompressed from Premier?? Not sure if anyone can help. I guess compressing the footage twice would be a bad idea so maybe I have just answered my own question.

This created huge uncompressed files though? Does anyone have any better thoughts or processes?
Steve Quantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Export a version of your edited footage and load it into AE. Then create whatever graphics / animation you want on another layer. You are just using the footage you loaded into AE to line up your graphics. Once you have it the way you want, remove the edited footage, and render the graphics/animation with an alpha channel. Then load your graphics into Premier and overlay it on your original edited footage. Now when you render the final output, you're only recompressing once.
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Major Player

In Premiere Pro I used Cineform to convert HDV to lossless intermediate codec, now in FCP there is the Apple intermediate codec included which does the same thing: covert the footage into frame compressed format during the capture, which then can be edited and manipulated with minimal quality penalties. The downside is file size; files about triple in size to 35 GB/hour. But editing is actually faster as the editor can do all the calculations with the compressed frames like in the good old DV25.

Does Cineform work with Vegas? I do not know. It should work with After Effects.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
Export a version of your edited footage and load it into AE. Then create whatever graphics / animation you want on another layer. You are just using the footage you loaded into AE to line up your graphics. Once you have it the way you want, remove the edited footage, and render the graphics/animation with an alpha channel. Then load your graphics into Premier and overlay it on your original edited footage. Now when you render the final output, you're only recompressing once.
Nice method thanks. Didn't think of this one yet as haven't really played with real footage. I know that Quicktime export uncompressed with Millions+ is the best for this alpha channel incorporated into single file. Cheers for the advice!
Steve Quantrill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders