Football match under floodlights tonight!!! help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 25th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Football match under floodlights tonight!!! help

Hiya can anyone post me some recommended settings and presets to video an amateur football final tonight under floodlights. Gonna take the camera to the top of the stand and shoot down onto the pitch. I am familiar already to film in 50i with a framerate of 50 also so that any slow motion replays in post will look decent. Just unsure of the other settings to get the best richest colour and picture. I will be using gain -3db to eliminate any graining. Thanks any advice appreciated.
Steve Quantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Steve,
Here are a few highlights I did late last year of "our" football. I'm assuming your lights will be daylight balanced. I shot 60i with 0gain and I felt it came out fine. Very little post work.
Bill
Jordan Giles #8
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Steve,
Here are a few highlights I did late last year of "our" football. I'm assuming your lights will be daylight balanced. I shot 60i with 0gain and I felt it came out fine. Very little post work.
Bill
Jordan Giles #8
Nice work on the filming. Camera work and zooming is slick and follows the action nicely. I'll stick to those settings you recommended. I guess I can advance the grass and colours in post, little touch ups.

Thanks
Steve Quantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Taking a white balance using the flood lights works extremely well. However, you can find that the lights aren't quite full daylight, some floodlights are more half blue or 3/4 blue.

Just be careful if they're sodium lights, you won't be able to white balance those or at least get a good "correct" one, more a better than not doing one job.

I'd only bother about the -3 db gain if you've got a good enough stop.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Exposure is critical. I found the A1 display showed a brighter exposure than what was recorded. Also, the single thing that I found makes football (any kind) viewable is smooth zooming in concert with panning. I use a LANC remote so I can easily adjust the zoom while panning with the action. Jerky zooms ruin viweability IMHO, YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders