Do you use NeoScene? What's your settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do you use NeoScene? What's your settings?

Do you use NeoScene with your XH-A1? What's your settings in NeoScene when trying to capture 24f footage? I'm using PP CS3 by the way.
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nobody?? Come on, someone has to be using NeoScene with their XH-A1......
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

you might be better off trying HDVSPLIT. Most do.
Dany Badaoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What is HDVSPLIT? Do I use it instead of NeoScene? Do I used it before or after?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Scott:

Neo Scene does not give you many choices. You want to preserve your format, and if you shot 24p, you will probably want to remove pulldown.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow, when I bought my XH-A1 everyone talked about Cineform like it was the Holy Grail. And now I'm thinking about buying NeoScene and no one knows what I'm talking about.

I thought NeoScene captures footage in a better format than the default capture utility in CS3. I thought this Cineform format allowed you to edit better in CS3 because it's not as highly compressed.

All I want to do is edit 24f footage in CS3 and have more latitude in post with a format that isn't as compressed as HDV.

I downloaded NeoScene last week and tried capturing 24f footage and found out that when I imported it into CS3, it was 29.97. What is going on?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So....no one is using NeoScene with their XH-A1????
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Scott,

I think you'll get better answers to your question if you post the question under Cineform software showcase threads.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Matthew,
I'm trying in XH-A1, Cineform and even Adobe CS3 forums....no one seems to be using NeoScene these days. It's really weird. I'm wondering if I should just call Cineform and bug them for a while.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gold View Post
What is HDVSPLIT? Do I use it instead of NeoScene? Do I used it before or after?
For that matter what is NeoScene and what's it got to do with an XH A1 :-)
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Richard,
HDV is a heavily compressed format to edit with. Cineform created NeoScene as a intermediate codec to help with editing HDV footage. When I 1st purchased the XH-A1 Cineform was all the rage. Now when I'm thinking about buying it, it seems there are no supporters anymore. Totally weird. Just trying to figure out what to do.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Go to Cineform.com and explore too. As for your camera, I don't own one. But I do own the HV20, and Cineform's NeoScene is ideal for the 24p format from the HV20. I removes pull down, and leaves you with a Cineform codec .avi file to edit in, at 24 fps.

The way I understand 24f from your camera is that it is 24p laid into a 60i stream. If that is the case, removing pull down should be accomplished by capturing a checking the 24p box in NeoScene. I suggested that a few post back, and you have continued whining without letting anyone know if you tried it.

If you go to the Cineform forum and do a search there, your issue may have been addressed. If not, start a thread there, and David Newman, or others from Cineform will respond.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Chris,
You never suggested anything other than "remove the pull-down". Well, with what, NeoScene or HDVSplit?

However, your second response/suggestion was more appropriate: "The way I understand 24f from your camera is that it is 24p laid into a 60i stream. If that is the case, removing pull down should be accomplished by capturing a checking the 24p box in NeoScene."
That actually helped and is similar to the answer I got in the cineform forum.

BTW, I still haven't got a single response from a XH-A1 owner on any forum saying they are using NeoScene.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gold View Post
BTW, I still haven't got a single response from a XH-A1 owner on any forum saying they are using NeoScene.
I have an XH-A1, shoot 24p, and I used NeoScene. Just as has been said, capture or convert and check the remove telecine box.

I don't use NeoScene now because I have upgrade to ProspectHD. I am starting to use CS3 and I also need the benefits of the new First Light program.

All questions are answered in short order on the Cineform forum hear at DV Info.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders