Will this drive work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Will this drive work?

I am looking for a new external drive for HDV capturing and editing. I am looking at the Western Digital 2tb My Book Studio edition II Quad Interface. I want to use it with a USB 2.0 connection. Will it be able to keep up with HDV capturing? Does anyone use this drive? Any other suggestions? I really want to use a usb 2.0 connection because the camera will connect to my firewire 400 port and I have found over the years that I can not share it successfully during capture. Also Adobe products do not like sharing ports on the same card.

Western Digital | 2TB My Book Studio Edition II | WDH2Q20000N
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Howard, I've got that WD 2TB external drive. It's 2 1TB drives in the one tin. Mine is configured as RAID 1 (it mirrors the files to the 2nd drive) running on FW800. So I've got backup in case a drive dies.

I've now got 260GB of archival files stored and I don't think USB2 will work once you get many files stored. Could be wrong but I think it'll be too slow.

One thing that did happen, a file got corrupted on one of the drives. Then when I powered the system up, it announced it was taking over and rebuilt the whole suspect drive. Took 22hours straight.

I don't like WDs software either, IMO they have too 'many' models, the software update site is a jungle of clicks, links and wonder.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; June 17th, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added 'many'
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Would you suggest installing an e sata card in the computer and using the e sata cable for the drive? Would this give me the best results? I see the e sata cards are inexpensive.
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

By all reports yes, but don't quote me I'm not certain.

BTW I think we're in the wrong forum. Pickup your skirts I hear the posting police coming.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've used USB external drives with my old laptop, to record live DV and HDV. It can work, but you are skating on fairly thin ice to do it. Make sure the hard drive is defragged, and you don't want to be running other apps (especially anything that accesses the disk) while capturing.

I'm not a fan of pre-built external drives. They tend not to be very well designed to keep the drives cool. I suggest getting drives that are known to run cool (some Hitachi drives are good for this) and put them in external enclosures that have good fans built in. Newegg sells some generic ("Rosewill") enclosures with 80mm fans, that cool the drives quite well.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Get an e-sata card and plug the drive into that. It will be the same speed as your internal drive. Much faster than usb 2.0 or firewire
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am just recovering from a data dilemma related to failing Seagate Barracuda drives. I chose to replace them with two WD Caviar Black 1 TB in an external enclosure with RAID 1 redundancy. Now I feel safer :)
I have installed an e-SATA PCIe card that allows for two outputs. Nexstar Welcome to Vantec ? Leading Brand of Storage, Thermal, and Mobile Accessories!
make a variety of cards that allow for multiple eSATA, Firewire 400/800 and USB outputs.
I am just about to try out the eSATA x2 output model. It promises great speed and redundancy.
It's always possible to add more Firewire ports.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders