Xh A1s & image noise? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 14th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #16
Regular Crew

So...

All of you who say to set the low gain to -3 are dead wrong??? This guy got great shots with +6 and +12. Please explain.

Anyway, I called Canon and the tech talked me through resetting my camera. It didn't work the first time, but after the 2nd reset my picture started to look good - with a little noise when I boosted the gain. I fired up both my cameras and they matched up. I hope it stays that way.

Now, I'm ready to try some of the presets I've collected on your site. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Alex DeJesus; August 14th, 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Update on situation
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #17
Major Player

Alex, anyone who suggests -3dB aren't "dead wrong". It's just what works for them and certain scene situations. I use it myself, depending on a scene. You're right that if AGC is on and in an outdoor situation like the still you posted, it shouldn't kick in. Mine doesn't (even though I never use it) and that's the way it is designed to work.

Anyone who is getting noisy images such as yours either has a faulty camera, or is doing something horribly wrong.

Last edited by Bill Busby; August 15th, 2009 at 02:30 AM.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I Forgot To Mention

Before we 'Reset' the camera, I did notice it was in the "Cine" preset even though that alone should not have caused all that noise. Anyway, it looks decent now. I'll take it.
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Alex I assume you spent a good chunk of money on the camera so why not use it to it's full potential?

Set it to M. AGC off. Gain set to -3. Shutter speed 1/60. Adjust aperture according to how brightly your scene is let. If you still get grainy images either you camera is broken or your monitor is crap.
Russ Motyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Reset the camera to 'factory' condition - BEAUTIFUL!

Did a shoot last night. I guess resetting the camera worked. Push a paper clip into a small hole under the LCD screen - next to the speaker. Make sure you feel the detent, hold for 10 seconds. I had to do it twice. I had to re-customize the camera afterwards.

The only other possible culprit was before resetting the camera, I noticed that it was in one of the "CINE" presets, which is designed for shooting in 24f. I had been shooting in 30f and 60i. In my opinion, though, it should not have caused that much noise.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #21
New Boot

Hi All,
No mention yet has been made of the possible mistake of having the ND filter engaged. I did this once and was mystified why my video looked dreadful till I noticed the problem.

Cheers Alan.
Alan R. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders