After Effects Export Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

After Effects Export Question

Hi Folks,

I am a novice when it comes to Color Correction. So I have a simple question. Let's say I have a 30 second piece of footage that I bring into After Effects to do some special effects and composition work using 3DS Max targa sequences. Once I am finished, I want to bring my footage back into Premiere.

My question is; What format (example: .avi) and compression settings should I use to export the footage? I don't want to compress it too much, because it will compress again when I export from Premiere, right? Or am I even asking the right question?

Thanks for your help!

Jason
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What version of Adobe software are you using? I'm not sure how far back this feature is implemented, but CS4 at least can use Dynamic Link to directly import After Effects compositions into Premiere.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Major Player

The way I do it is that I totally complete my editing without the special effects, then I open After effects and import the Premire Pro project (this next part is VERY IMPORTANT), all your clips will load and it will take a little time, once they're all loaded, double click on the "sequence" file only. All your clips will load up in order. Then add your effects to whatever clips need them and export the final product from After Effects, this will eliminate exporting it twice and losing clarity.

(NOTE)
Instead of doing a bunch of color correcting and sound editing in Premiere Pro, I would do it all in After effects because I think all the correcting in PPRo does not show up when you import it this way. Just use PPro for your sequencing in other words.

Here's some of mine where I used this exact technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXsZEwBV10

YouTube - Funny Monster.com Commercial (In HD)
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Bates View Post
What version of Adobe software are you using? I'm not sure how far back this feature is implemented, but CS4 at least can use Dynamic Link to directly import After Effects compositions into Premiere.
I am using CS4.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
The way I do it is that I totally complete my editing without the special effects, then I open After effects and import the Premire Pro project (this next part is VERY IMPORTANT), all your clips will load and it will take a little time, once they're all loaded, double click on the "sequence" file only. All your clips will load up in order. Then add your effects to whatever clips need them and export the final product from After Effects, this will eliminate exporting it twice and losing clarity.

(NOTE)
Instead of doing a bunch of color correcting and sound editing in Premiere Pro, I would do it all in After effects because I think all the correcting in PPRo does not show up when you import it this way. Just use PPro for your sequencing in other words.

Here's some of mine where I used this exact technique.

YouTube - Hilarious Butterfinger Commercial - (In HD)

YouTube - Funny Monster.com Commercial (In HD)
HAHA! Very cool video! Thanks for you advice! I will experiment with both ideas. :)
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Sharaba View Post
HAHA! Very cool video! Thanks for you advice! I will experiment with both ideas. :)

Thanks, lemme know if you need anymore help with that.

Danny Winn
www.youtube.com/DannyWinnVideo
Danny Winn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders