Impact battery problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Impact battery problem.

The Chinese Impact IMBP970 replacement battery I bought as backup for the A1 has developed a problem after about 30 charges.

Because it's 7600mAh I rarely run it right out on the cam so it always gets charged up from about 1/4 full. When the Canon charger light reads full .. installed on the cam this battery now reads about 2/3 full.

I think its developed a 'memory' and needs to be run flat a few times to restore its full charge. Haven't seen this for years it used to happen with the early Li-ion batts.

Anyone have this happen?

Cheers.
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

But Li-ion battery doesn't have memory effect problem. It could just be the problem of that particular battery you have.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Ah, Chinese batteries...........

Been there, done that.

Bought a Knock Off Canon battery a couple of years ago. Used maybe 30 times, always indicated fully charged after a night on the charger.

Put it in the camera, nothing, nada, squat.

Dismantled it to it's component parts. Guess what?

The cells WERE RECYCLED from other batteries and the chip that controls it was a Taiwan knock off of the real thing that wasn't worth the silicon that went into it.

Just not worth doing I'm afraid, there's a reason the real things are so much more expensive, tho' do have to say, not THAT expensive.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I learned about it too! There're some third party batteries are made with "recycle" battery. That's why they are even so much cheaper that can be found on ebay.

We have BP-970G and BP-950G battery for sale. they are generic brand made with high quality cell. I myself are using them for my XH-A1 and XH-A1s. Those that I start using 3 years ago are still holding charge well.

BP-970G Canon Compatible High Capacity Battery | L.A. Color Shop
BP-950G Canon Compatible High Capacity Battery | L.A. Color Shop

Comes with one year warranty.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

My Impact battery was sold to me by BnH in New York .. it's not listed there anymore and mine is at least 18months old.

Cheers.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Well, knock off or not......

There is obviously a discrepency between the Canon charger, the battery and the camera.

Li - ion's don't develope memory, so it seems likely either the battery is partially toast or the charger isn't seeing what it thinks it should.

Either way, it's a moot point, if a cell has failed (possible) then it's well out of warranty, so it's either use it as is or replace it.

CS

PS: You could always try to find a company like this is Aus, can't believe there wouldn't be one. I had a couple of battery drill packs re -done by these guys and they ARE HOT. Had 'em over a year and still haven't needed to recharge them, but then, I don't use 'em every week.

http://www.recell.co.nz/provideo.html

Last edited by Chris Soucy; March 12th, 2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: ++Update
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks for that tip Chris. After running that Impact down and recharging it, it's back up to full charge this morning. Still a worry though.

Cheers.
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Just not worth doing I'm afraid
Depends, I have a Lenmar clone at 1/4th of original price, it doesn't run as long as my original canon battery but has had many recharges untill now. I also have a Sony Lenmar clone for my hvr-dr60 and that one was 8 times more cheaper then the original one and after a year it still works as in the beginning. (knock on wood :) )
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders