why should get all the set-up (35mm adaptor) if i can get the 5d mark? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

why should get all the set-up (35mm adaptor) if i can get the 5d mark?

I have an XH-A1 and i would really like to achieve the depth of field look, can't i just use the SLR lenses straight with the 5d and it would be light and easy rather than the machine gun look with the A1 instead....? ?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Thats why we are all using the DSLRs .... Even Steven Dempsey, champion of the XAh1 and adapters has succombed.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #3
New Boot

Thats what everyone is doing!

Not sure if you have caught on but thats what everyone is now starting to do!
even though the technology is first generation, but it has made a damn good mark.
You have Pro's using 5DII and 7D's with multiple L series lenses and additional tools to make things pop out.

2 links below will give you great example what these two cameras are capable of doing.

I believe Kevin of Pacific pictures who's masterpiece below CITY OF LAKES used XH A1 before.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...g-trailer.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...d-mk2-24p.html

If this doesnt convince not sure what will.

These Cams requires slightly different Technique so lots of looking into the subject will be neccassary.

you make the judgement,

Plus Ziess is about to announce Cinematic set of lenses for the EOS mount at the NABB2010.

Zaheer
Mohammed Zaheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

despite the superior quality of the image from the dslrs, it still is not a video camera. it is a tool for a certain job, and if this is your only tool in your bag, you are limited to the amount of jobs you can do. what i mean is the xha1 has multiple frame rates of both hd and ntsc formats. in school we were doing a tv story and the requirement for broadcast was dv 16:9 30 frames. it allowed me to use my setup. i love the full frame sensor of the 5D but its lack of true video camera features and controls is where it turns me away. if i had the money i would keep my redrock a1 setup and have a 5D so you can use the right tool for the right job. if you invest in a true native camera such as panasonics P2 formats or the new pro avchd coming out, the hd quality for me is close to crisp and you have more flexablitly for yourself. besides those issues, the codec, if i am not mistaken, is compressed to h.264 before it hits finalcut, which in my opinion is not that great. i would much rather have a raw .MXF true native file. just my thought on the cameras, they are very tempting for sure, but for my needs in a video camera, just having a 5D would not work.
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, well one thing's for sure....
If you're wanting to keep the XHA1 or whatever, and looking to get bang for your buck, the adapters are starting to trickle through the system at lower and lower prices everyday.

For a highlight reel, and quick cuts, i can't see anything wrong with these DSLr's..Yes, it's just another tool in the arsenal, but it's a swiss army knife...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So true peter. Nothing in the 3000 dollar price range can beat the full framed image quality. I am ignorant on the edit workflow of the codec used, can anyone explain this one. Is it no different from editing avchd footage by log and transfering it to pro res so there is minimal computer strain? If anyone has followed philip blooms blog one can only think of the potential for vdslr.
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic View Post
Yeah, well one thing's for sure....
If you're wanting to keep the XHA1 or whatever, and looking to get bang for your buck, the adapters are starting to trickle through the system at lower and lower prices everyday.

For a highlight reel, and quick cuts, i can't see anything wrong with these DSLr's..Yes, it's just another tool in the arsenal, but it's a swiss army knife...

Bang for the buck is the T2i (if you can find one!) I can't seem to put mine down!
Get the 50mm f1.4 lens and the camera for about $1300 and you have a DOF monster that will get the addiction started.

Peter, I will second your b-roll statement. I have 5 shoots under my belt since getting the T2i a couple of weeks ago and know the DSLR's strengths and weaknesses very well. Unless you plan on dropping a ton of money into all the bells and whistles, the DSLR's are not practical as a main camera.

SO...Arthur...keep your XHA1 for wide shots, pro audio and long record times. Then blow your client's minds with the b-roll or closeups from the DSLR (no matter which one you get!)

Oh and I use Mpeg Streamclip to convert the files to pro res which is faster than compressor. Then you just edit away. It's not like AVCHD (which is what I use from my Panny 150)

Welcome to the madness!
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Major Player

How are people with the 5d pluging in shotgun mics for audio? Is the an XLR input on it?
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Trustee

pre amp or battery-powered mic. DSLRs have 1/8" mini headphone-style in's

I use a Sound Devices MM-1 with an xlr to mini adapter.
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
How are people with the 5d pluging in shotgun mics for audio? Is the an XLR input on it?
The best option for audio is to use a digital recorder and sync the sound in post. Easy to sync. We use the Zoom H4n, which has 4 chan capability. It has XLR and we run wireless mics from that. We also use Edirol R9's.
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Regular Crew

CMOS sensors still do not record accurate movement, and with high alisasing and artifact creating...these cameras do not register fine detail in landscapes, or wavemovement etc etc.
William Boehm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders