Do you guys use image stabilizer when filming handheld? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #16
Inner Circle

"The windows were "floating" around . Is it due to the Image stabilization?"

Yes, the camerastabilisation is trying to correct for the movement you make and on a tripod that is not something you want. I notice this very clearly on my Canon xh-a1 if I leave ois on when on a tripod, if I do a pan movement when zoomed in and when I stop panning the camera tries to correct after that and I see the image move, eventhough the camera is standing still.

If you don't want that "floating movement" you need to turn ois off when on a tripod.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #17
New Boot

thanks !!

thanks for clarifying that.

I *think* you have saved me from a major mistake this coming saturday.

I SO appreciate it.
Nancy Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Trustee

IS is still useful in certain tripod shots though. For example, if you have a locked down shot at full telephoto, it is quite common to see some wobble in the image due to the tripod not being perfectly rigid, or maybe when the tripod is standing on a flexible surface like a wooden floor. The IS helps in these cases to reduce camera shake.

But I agree that if you need to pan the camera, the IS is usually better switched Off.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylus Harrington View Post
On the A1s I assigned one of the custom buttons to switch OIS on/off - the other custom button is for Zebras. This is very helpful when going from Tripod to Handled as you can activate or deactivate with the touch of a button - no need to dig in the menu for it.
how do you assign the OIS to the custom buttons, I don't see it on the list of options ?
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #20
Major Player

Can't do it on the A1.

It's an option on the A1S.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders