ND filters shut off A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Major Player

ND filters shut off A1?

Hi,
I recently bought a year old A1 and took it on my first outdoor shoot and selected the 1/32 ND filter.
After a few shots I was in a shaded area and turned the filter to off and the camera turned off...no power.
I pulled the battery out and put it back in but still nothing.
If I turned it to VCR there was no problem but no reaction when turning to any of the camera selections (with a fresh battery).
When I got home I tried it again but nothing. Finally, trying everything, I turned it from standy-by to lock and back to stand-by again and it worked fine.
Any ideas what the problem can be?
Thanks very much,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

mmmm not the sort of thing you want to have happen first time out. It might have some grit in the switches, work them on/off a few times without a battery installed.

It's very important to keep the cam clean especially the top section around the tape transport .. dust will get in there and cause tape dropouts too.

Wipe it all down with a damp cloth and try a camera reset .. follow the manual.

Cheers.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Yikes, that sounds a little scary especially knowing the guy I bought it from took it on his hunting trips.
Would there be any danger in using canned air on it?
Thanks very much Allan,
Randy
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

No need to use pressure air especially around mics you could blow the element out .. so I wouldn't.

Keep a cloth in the bag and wipe the top down before you change EVERY SINGLE tape.

Airborne microgrit and dust is the worst enemy of the A1.

Cheers.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Major Player

I realize it could screw up the mic but blowing around the ND filter switch is a bad idea also? What about electronics cleaner?
Thanks for your advice and patience,
Randy
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You have.................

actually answered your own question, GR.

The Standby/ Lock switch only needs turning a few degrees to activate the lock and it doesn't really look as if it's off Standby even tho' it's locked.

It seems there are two types of A1 shooters - those as hit that switch with monotonous regularity and those who couldn't hit it if they tried (I seem to be in the latter group).

I think you can can the canned air and other gizmos and just go out and shoot, and don't worry about the ND filter switch, it cannot shut down the camera.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Major Player

I can't see how the ND filter switch could cause this problem. Seems coincidental to me. I would be more inclined to think (I've just tried it and it can be simulated) that the standby switch was not full engaged in the 'standby' position and has gone to 'lock' as you've manipulated the camera.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Man am I relieved...I'm pretty sure you guys are absolutely right as I was fumbling around with it at the time (I know my old XL1S' like the proverbial back of my hand but this cam feels awkward to me still) trying to turn the ND filters off probably with my thumb on the stand-by/lock switch.
I just now noticed how easy it is to move that switch....okay I'll put my cans of air and cleaner away now.
Thanks so much guys!!!
Randy
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #9
Inner Circle

GR in the recording industry we call it .. finger trouble.

Never ever use electronics cleaner around yr nice A1 body either, it's a mild form of acid. If it doesn't start eating it it may discolour it .. it'll certainly gobble up what's left of the warranty.

Cheers.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Hitting the standby switch without realizing it is almost a kind of "rite of passage" for new A1 owners. I got mine used and very quickly wen into a panic when it wouldn't power up. Can't tell you how relieved I was when I discovered what I'd done unknowingly. As I read more and more here, I came to realize I wasn't alone in learning how that particular switch works!

Mine was also rather dirty when i got it and within a couple of months had to send it in for repairs to the tape mechanism. Turns out there was a lot of fine "sand" inside. Canon cleaned it up nicely, but charged about $650. I don't clean it up every time as Allan recommends, but he's probably right in suggesting cleaning it before every tape change. I am, however, very careful about keeping it very clean and simply don't use it without some kind of cover when the possibility of dust or dirt affected the camera.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Allan, point well taken : )

Phil said: "Hitting the standby switch without realizing it is almost a kind of "rite of passage" for new A1 owners. I got mine used and very quickly wen into a panic when it wouldn't power up. "

That is such a comforting statement...initially I thought it was just an automatic shut down like the XL1S (from leaving it in record mode with a tape in it for more than 5 minutes) but then when I found the VCR side worked fine I thought I had certainly fried something on the camera side....pheewww....thanks again guys!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM   #12
Major Player

I felt the same way. The relief was overwhelming!
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders