tape dropout?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Major Player

Last year I had a very important project that had no room for error. I opted to use the Canon Master tapes. They are alomost 25.00 each, but I had zero drop outs and used over 15 tapes. That aside, i typically use Panasonic tapes and have had good results.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Hola amigos,
I finally got an answer he said
"Randy,
The brand is Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ, 63ME. I never had any problems with what you are telling me. I never ran a head cleaner through it, I hardly even used the camera.
Hopefully this helps. Ralph"

So I'm hoping since I have been using this one- Panasonic Mini DV AY-DVM60EJ | TapeOnline.com as opposed to this one- Panasonic Mini DV AY-DVM63PQUS | TapeOnline.com
it will make the difference....after all the one he was using does have the word professional quality in it (FWIW) and it is only 10 cents more (I never saw these when buying my 5 boxes of tapes)!
Other than cleaning the heads before trying the PQ model what do yall think?

Thanks,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #18
New Boot

For what it's worth.....

We only use the 63 minute black box PQ Panasonic tapes in all our camas. None of the Hv40 cams or the XH-A1s cams have a problem, but the one XH-A1 we have does have drops outs on occasion. It still had them after getting it back from a full Canon inspection and cleaning.
Gary Albertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Maybe I'm being naive but dropouts in a pro(sumer) camera is just not acceptable and for Canon to not be able to fix the issue is very surprising. I had two XL1S' for 5 years and never had issues.
I guess I'll try the other tape and if that doesn't work buy some kind of SD card or hard drive recorder.
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #20
Major Player

I have two A1's one purchased new and it's only had the cheap Sony premium tapes and in three years solid use I've never had a dropout. The other purchased 2nd hand I received it with 10 expensive JVC HD tapes and had heaps of dropouts. I cleaned the heads and used Sony tapes and it was fine.... went back last week and thought I would use up the expensive JVC's and guess what heaps of dropouts. Cleaned heads again back to the Sony's and all fine.

If anyone wants a JVC tape they are welcome to them.... I'll stick with my $5 Sony's.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Yes. I use the Sonys as well. I get them in what they call the 'promo' pack. Five for $25.00. Each pack comes with a cleaning tape as well. That's all I use and they seem to work fine.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #22
Major Player

When you guys say the cheap "premium" Sony you aren't referring to "Sony DVM60PRR Mini DV Tape 60 Minute Premium DVM60PR" are you?
That's what I used to use with my XL1S' but they were like $2 each.
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #23
Major Player

DVM60R3... is the code I have on the tape. Come in packs of 5 as Bill sad some come with a cleaning tape and they are $30 for 5 here in Australia.

It's funny I am starting to appriciate tape a little more now as I'm also shooting with a 7D and the whole data management and work flow makes me nervous. I love the fact that a DVTApe is always there and I can physically see it.

God knows how I will cope when all data is in the 'cloud' as most of the IT wants us to believe it should be
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #24
Major Player

I just went to tapesonline.com (USA) and they don't have that model so it must be the same as the Sony's I used to use (metal evaporative) just a different model number for you Aussies
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders