XHA1 issues w/ Sony DVC HD Mini Dv Tapes (dvm63hdr) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Sony Media Services

Don - I recorded 2 minutes of color bars at the head of the tape and did a quick 5 second playback at home before the event. Looked fine. Later those same color bars disappeared along with the rest of the footage.

Very strange indeed...

After going through customer support line after customer support line, I was directed to Sony Media Services - Sony Media Services .

I will be sending them the tapes in hopes they can salvage the footage. Or, at the very least, confirm my suspicion that it is indeed a bad batch of tapes that I can be refunded for.

In the mean time I must inform the client and hope he agrees to let me offer him a free 1 minute promotional video edit from the stills I took that night.

Thanks,

John
John Lofton IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM   #17
Tourist

I had exactly the same problem with one SONY HDV HD and one of my XH-A1 and since then I never use SONY tapes again.
Paulo Paulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I've been involved with magnetic recording tape and production of all types for 46yrs and I've read through the posts.

Don is correct, if you don't record 1 min of video and audio tests at the start of EVERY tape before any event, you're inviting trouble.
NEVER EVER unwrap a new tape and start recording on it .. just don't do it.

When you buy say, a pack of 5 tapes open ém up and run tests on all of them, BUT first wipe the cam down especially the top so no microgrit gets into the tape transport .. then clean the heads.

Write out a pre gig checklist and keep it in your bag, start with charge batteries. Figure out how much tape you need and double it .. if you're planning to use say 4 tapes, number them first and slide the rec tabs to safe after each one so you don't record over the first one. It has happened.

Another tip .. practice this, shut your eyes and learn to start and stop your cam by feel, eg: with the A1 it's 4 clicks to enable auto. This will help prevent what we call 'finger trouble'.. which I suspect has happened here for a couple of members.

I'm sorry this doesn't fix your present problems but it might prevent others in future.

Cheers.
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #19
Wrangler

LeVern Danley reports in a private e-mail:

"I recently read your post on DVinfo.net. I tried to post a comment to all but Could not. In any case please ask the guys on the post to look at the tape Batch number on the top of the tape. This is a problem with Sony tape stock. I just recently had the problem and have pinpointed it to one batch of tapes Marked 52TYS206L 0035. The whole box has given me the exact problem you are Referring to."
Old November 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #20
Wrangler

In another PM Joe Glickman reports:

"I tried posting on the forum, but it would not let me. I, too, had problems with a batch of HDV tapes I purchased. It was a box of 5, Tape Stock DVM63HDR. The Batch # printed on the lid of one of the actual tapes reads 52TYS206L 0026. On the carton there is a batch # that reads 51TYS206L....Sony has acknowledged a bad batch and sent me a head cleaner and new batch of tapes to see if I can record on those (or in other words to prove it's not their tapes, but my camera, which I know is not true because a camera with dirty heads won't selectively record on premium stock but then not on the HDV stock.) They are also having me send them my tapes to try and duplicate the problem...."
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #21
Major Player

Sony DVC HD tapes DVM63

Hi Just bought 2 batches of 5 Sony DVC HD tapes DVM63 from B&H photo. I was trying to record a cheerleading competiton yesterday. 11-13-10 H ave a sony Z5U I kept getting a clean head error I could not get the cam to record. I switched to my back up FX1000 same thing!!! I tried 4 tapes and it did not work. I went back to my case where I had 2 new back up tapes about 6 month old and put them in and everything worked fine. It has to be a bad batch of tapes?? I have never had this happen before. Now I am really shy about using tapes. I am glad I was not shooting a wedding.

One thing I did notice is over the past 4 months of using the Sony DVM63 I have been having frame dropps. I have never had this before either..

Any one have any suggestions on on anohter tape. I have 2 evens coming up this weekend and I am shy at the moent!
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #22
Major Player

My batch number is 51TYSO16L DVM63 HDR

Don what number did you call at Sony?
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #23
Wrangler

Was not my problem (I generally use Panasonic tape). I just posted part of the content of two PMs that I receive from readers who cannot post.

I do not have a Sony number but you should be able to find a customer service number from their applicable web page.

Wonder if Sony has outsourced their tape manufacturing?

Almost sounds like a back door effort to force people to upgrade/buy a tapeless camcorder.
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #24
Major Player

Well It might be an effort to do so. I am Sorry I thought you posted that you called them. I will call B&H Photo and let them handel it.. I just orderd 10 Panasonic HD DV tapes... I will give them a try.. LIke I said I have a event this weekedend and can not have my tapes not working.

I feel bad for the guy who lost a wedding!! I am glad my cam was giving me head cleaning error that warned me I was having a problem. I alos do weddings and that is my greatest fear!!!!!
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Still no word from Sony Media Services

Hey All,

My tape is still in Sony Media Repair Service's hands.

Don - looking at your message, the PM from Joe Glickman I checked my tape. Sure enough, I , too have tapes from batch 51TYS206L .

I guess that narrows it down! Now to hope Sony Media Services is able to pull a rabbit out of a defective hat.

Thanks,

John

*EDIT* To be exact, the one tape I have (the other was sent to Sony Media Services) reads: 52TYS206L 0156

Last edited by John Lofton IV; November 14th, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: *Exact #
John Lofton IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #26
Wrangler

Sony Admits bad batch(es) of tape

I hear from LeVern Danley there is a Sony admission effective on the 15th - they own up to bad batch(es) of HDV tape.

DVM63HD, Production numbers xxxxxxx8L, xxxxxxx7L, xxxxxxx6L, xxxxxxx5L
The production number maybe on the cassette, the box, the wrapper. etc.

Call 877-440-3453 for replacement tape.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #27
New Boot

One more case of bad sony tapes

I decided to check a recent purchase of dvm63hd tapes from B&H. They are bad as everyone has described. 53TYS012L 1318 on tape. Thanks to everyone for making this issue visible to us all. I would have just used them, resulting in a major video show failure. I will call Sony. I have only used these tapes in my canon XH-A1 until now.
Mike Ponek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #28
Wrangler

See the thread linked below for more details on the Sony announcement.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...-hdv-tape.html
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:34 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Hello,
just to mention:

I checked my tapes and found new tapes with the numbers which could be wrong.
i contacted Sony and mentioned this forum discussion and my tape numbers.

the reply I received was: my tapes are OK because it has only to do with tapes which are suplied in the USA. tapes for Europe and Asia are fine.

Wil
Wil Vermeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #30
Inner Circle

If you have tapes with the same batch numbers as reported defective .. I'd return them for exchange.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders