XHA1 accessories questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elertson View Post
I will most likely get the NTG-1.
Note post #3 here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...mic-xh-a1.html
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:31 PM   #17
Trustee

If I may suggest, look at the NTG2 rather than the NTG1, as for a small amount more it offers battery operation as well as phantom power, making it useful for other recorders or situations which don't provide the phantom power. NTG1 is phantom-only. I made that mistake once...
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I had an NTG-2 for all the reasons Battle mentions. FOr me it was a mistake and I sold it then got an NTG-1. On the A1, I found the NTG-2 was too long. When pushed back, it gets in the way of the audio block and you hand. When mounted properly and with a dead cat, the hairs end up in frame. The extra length is also wobbly.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM   #19
Trustee

Les has a good point, but there's a fix: my work camera had a Sennheiser ME66, which is fairly long. To move it back and up from the lens, I cobbled up an adjustable-position mike mount using pvc pipe and a Rode shockmount --- and then Rode came along and manufactured the same thing. I should have gotten a patent...anyway, here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463089-REG/Rode_SM5_SM5_Shotgun_Microphone.html
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Battle .. merry Xmas from Rode :)

Cheers.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Trustee

Thank you, Allen, and Merry Christmas back at ya....Usual disclaimers apply to my comments, I have no connection with Rode but they make nice stuff at good prices in my experience...
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders