XHA1 accessories questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XHA1 accessories questions

Hello all,

I will most likely be acquiring an xha1 this weekend and I'm looking into some accessories. (my first prosumer camcorder)

Background: The camcorder will mostly be used outdoors to film automotive racing events. It will also be used to film my upcoming wedding, but that will (hopefully!) be a one time thing.

Editing: Abode Premiere Pro CS3

What I do: Normally I film about 2-3 hours in one day, upload to my computer, and edit a 3-10min compilation video.

1) DTE hard drives. I really like the idea of copying files over since that is what I am use to. I also don't currently have a fire-wire input on my computer, not really a big problem to fix, but that is where im at right now. I've read conflicting things about use the xha1 to playback or rewind tapes, so that is also a concern.

The cheapest I could find was this one that records to a flash drive.
Shining Technology, Inc. - CitiDISK CFR - CitiDISK CFR

Pro's? Con's?

2) Microphone

Not sure if I should be looking for a stereo Microphone or a direction one?

This one has good reviews, but should I be looking for a direct XLR mic?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Paul Elertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd make sure the person (not you I hope :) can run your A1 for your wedding, or let them use their own cam.

I'd fix the audio first ..

Low budget, yes the Rode Videomic. High budget .. the Rode NTG-3, both with their respective wind protectors. Then a B+W UV filter to protect the A1 lens. Have fun.

Cheers.
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am on a limited budget. The camcorder is coming with a UV filter :)

Any advice about DTE drives?
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Trustee

You'll need a good video tripod...and unfortunately, they aren't cheap. Fluid head, ball mount (for easy leveling). Cartoni and Sachtler are two quality but expensive brands....$1000 up ---

But --- I have had some experience with a Matthews M25 for less than $200 which, while having a lot of plastic on it, was the only cheap tripod (IME) that was worth looking at...held the XHa1 pretty well and is fairly lightweight.

I found the Canon wideangle adapter invaluable for the work I did with the XHa1 (News) but YMMV. A good shotgun ---Sennheiser ME66k6, Audio-Technica 897 or 875, Rode NTG3 (listed last, but is an excellent choice)...

Depending on your shooting, on and off-camera lighting gear --- LED panel for the camera... softboxes, or LED panels for area lighting, if you're going to do any kind of setup or interviews...and in that case, lavalier mike(s), wired or wireless...the camera, unfortunately, is just the beginning. They say audio is 70% of a video, so don't skimp on your mikes! Best wishes!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I use NTG-1 with a 1 foot angled XLR cable. it looks so handsome on the Xh-A1. Check out some photos here

XH-A1s and XH-A1 Photos | L.A. Color Blog
Old December 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
You'll need a good video tripod...and unfortunately, they aren't cheap. Fluid head, ball mount (for easy leveling). Cartoni and Sachtler are two quality but expensive brands....$1000 up ---

But --- I have had some experience with a Matthews M25 for less than $200 which, while having a lot of plastic on it, was the only cheap tripod (IME) that was worth looking at...held the XHa1 pretty well and is fairly lightweight.
I only have a cheap tri-pod now and I'm looking into a better one. Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
Depending on your shooting, on and off-camera lighting gear --- LED panel for the camera... softboxes, or LED panels for area lighting, if you're going to do any kind of setup or interviews...and in that case, lavalier mike(s), wired or wireless...the camera, unfortunately, is just the beginning. They say audio is 70% of a video, so don't skimp on your mikes! Best wishes!

Agree on the audio comment. However, I am lucky in that audio for my videos is not quite as important since I am usually filming cars and not people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I use NTG-1 with a 1 foot angled XLR cable. it looks so handsome on the Xh-A1. Check out some photos here

XH-A1s and XH-A1 Photos | L.A. Color Blog
Very nice! I know someone asked in your comments, but where did you get the 90degree adaptor?
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Don't waste your money on a VideoMic. You have a real camera with a real mic mount. Get a real shotgun. The NTG-1 is nice and small. As mentioned, right angle coiled cable makes a nice tight kit.

The Libec Battle mentions is adequate. But plan to upgrade or get a good one from the start. I used an A1 with both NTG-1 and the Libec tripod.

Do a search on B&H for "right angle XLR coiled". Here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Trustee

If you are at all handy with a soldering iron, it is easy to make your own custom mike cables to fit your camera; the XLR plugs (angled and straight) are available from such suppliers as Mouser (Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor) and Markertek (www.markertek.com), and quality audio cable as well. I made several such cables for the news crew I worked with before my retirement, was no chore to do...
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I got my 1 foot angled XLR cable at Audio Gear at Jack's Music Factory: Music Gear, Recording Studio Gear, Pro Audio Gear, Pro Audio Accessories*
Old December 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #10
Trustee

I'll second the Matthews M25 as an entry level tripod. It can cope with the XH-A1 with the W/A adaptor (a seriously heavy piece of glass!) and various other mounted accessories. The Matthews customer support is excellent as well.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Just bought the camera yesterday! So excited.

http://www.boostedfilms.com/joomla/i...201280x768.jpg
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Major Player

Congratulations.I note you'll be doing a lot of outdoors filming. If so, do yourself a real favour and get a larger eyecup. I use the Sony one: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...-eyecup-6.html
But I believe the eyecup on the new A1s is also good. At around $35.00 it's the cheapest upgrade accessory for this camera that I know.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Funny, I just took a break from cleaning up the studio where I found my i-Cuff for the A1. It's the Raider RAICUFFDV Raider i-cuff PRO Viewfinder Hood. It's strap has been customized with an inch of elastic to make it easier to put on and off the A1 eyepiece. I sold my A1.

It's yours for $20 including flat rat USPS shipping. Email me via DVInfo.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Major Player

mic for XHA-1

I have a new in the box Rode NTG-3 mic with a case, clip, storage tube as it comes from the factory. I have more than one for my XH-A1 and some other shotguns, so I can sell this one if you are interested.

By the way, I also made my short right angled cable for the mic. I found some Neutrik right angled ends and used a cable I had.

The cheapest price on ebay today seems to be 614.99 so I will sell mine for $585 shipped.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
Congratulations.I note you'll be doing a lot of outdoors filming. If so, do yourself a real favour and get a larger eyecup. I use the Sony one: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...-eyecup-6.html
But I believe the eyecup on the new A1s is also good. At around $35.00 it's the cheapest upgrade accessory for this camera that I know.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Funny, I just took a break from cleaning up the studio where I found my i-Cuff for the A1. It's the Raider RAICUFFDV Raider i-cuff PRO Viewfinder Hood. It's strap has been customized with an inch of elastic to make it easier to put on and off the A1 eyepiece. I sold my A1.

It's yours for $20 including flat rat USPS shipping. Email me via DVInfo.
Thanks for the offer, but I will probably wait a bit and decide if I need one or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
I have a new in the box Rode NTG-3 mic with a case, clip, storage tube as it comes from the factory. I have more than one for my XH-A1 and some other shotguns, so I can sell this one if you are interested.

By the way, I also made my short right angled cable for the mic. I found some Neutrik right angled ends and used a cable I had.

The cheapest price on ebay today seems to be 614.99 so I will sell mine for $585 shipped.
Thanks, but that is out of my price range. I will most likely get the NTG-1.
Paul Elertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders