DSLR or New camcorder? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: DSLR or New camcorder?

Camcorders are optimized for video according to there product class (consumer, prosumer, pro), DSLRs are similarly optimized for stills, While they cross over (some better thatn others), there are significant compromises.

You need to assess your requirements (artistic, work flow, customer base, business plan, ego needs, etc. ) and resources (think cash flow and money) to reach your decision. What works for me maynto work as well for you, might even be a disaster.

And on ego needs, I've gradually come to realize that buying a capability or feature I never use is money wasted (but it may be fun and provide me with some bragging rights).
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:42 AM   #17
Major Player

As always "thanks" to all for great advice.
Just imagine how much time and money would be wasted if it were not for the help and advice from this forum. Im thankful to ALL that comment.

Jeff
Jeff Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #18
Major Player

FYI: The latest issue of 'Iris magazine' has an interesting article by Alan Roberts regarding large sensor cameras and compares the Canon 5D mkII, the Panasonic AF101 & the Sony PMW-F3.

The conclusion: whilst recognising that none of these cameras come up to the expectation of broadcast HDTV, Alan Roberts concludes that the Canon 5D mkII has been implemented with no specific market in mind. and goes on... Its poor performance hasn't put off lots of users, presumably those who don't look too closely at their own output, because spacial aliasing really messes up motion-sensitive video compressions (MPEG).

And as I understand it, the 5D is considered to be one of, if not THE, best DSLR for video. I guess much will depend on what you are doing with video and just how technically fussy you are about the quality you end up with. Quality I think is subjective. I know from my early years working in a photo printing lab - it is amazing what crap quality photos people will except when they have little or nothing to compare with!

I suppose the best advice would be to narrow down your potential choices then hire each for a day and see for yourself what YOU get from them and how close each come to your expectations and level of acceptibility
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #19
Major Player

After weeks of agonizing over what to do.....

I purchased a Sony 5N camera just to get a "feel" for DSLR shooting. I love the camera both stills and video quality. Ive been able to match the 5N's video to the XHA1 via CC. This allows me to use the two as a combo. The 5N allows me to interchange the lenses to get shots I cannot get with the A1.

Im watching the reviews of the Sony VG20 on this forum. So far, I dont think the VG20 could replace my XHA1 for quality, although the ability to change lenses on the VG20 and the low price tag. makes me want it. The best bet would be the Sony FS100, but I cant afford it now.

Hopefully Canon will come out with a interchangeable lens camcorder to compete with the VG20 in price.

I will wait a few months to see what Canon has to offer...

Jeff
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks for the update. It's a perfect illustration of a point I was making about A1 owners moving to non-Canon cameras ... the fact you went HDSLR and still didn't go with Canon speaks volumes ... eerily, you were posting at the same time I was posting.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-cano...ml#post1696520
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #21
Major Player

LES.....
Great minds do think alike.....and obviously at the same moment in time. haha

Jeff
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:03 AM   #22
New Boot

The DSLR is great for short, b-roll, artistic stuff to compliment your bread and butter long shots.
Charlton Chars is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders