XH A1s and Ninja is anyone doing it at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XH A1s and Ninja is anyone doing it

Hi guys
I have an XH-A1s and an Atomos Ninja ... but for the life of me I just can't get them to talk to each other.
I really wish the XH-A1 had a HDMI port, it would make life so much easier.
I have a few other cameras but nothing with the long 20x zoom lens which is wonderful for capturing sporting events.
PS: I really hate tape .... can anyone help ... is anyone using a Ninja with the canon ...???

PPS: I've tried a couple of Component to HDMI converters without success. I cannot get consistant smooth video from them.

Last edited by Richard Tatti; August 28th, 2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: forgot something
Richard Tatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XH A1s and Ninja is anyone doing it

Hi Richard, had you thought about the datavideo DN60 its still only HDV but I believe it works ok.(not used it myself) or were you wanting to avoid HDV compression?
best wishes john
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply John.
I already have a Ninja which works really well with other cameras ...eg, Canon HV30, Panasonic Ac90 .. but they both have HDMI out. I love the XH-A1 and it's excellent for sports. It's just the conversion from Component to HDMI that seems so difficult to get right.
I don't want to spend upwards of $1000 on a Blackmajic converter but it seems the cheaper ones just don't do the job very well.
Also, the DN60 isn't a cheap option either.
Richard Tatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Tourist

This is an easy modification. I have bought a conponent to HDMI converter on ebay attached it to a bracket 1 device with a 5 volt usb power supply and now you have a mobile hard disc 422 color space recorder. you should pay from $24-$40 dollars for a HDMI converter. You will have to use HDMI version 1.3 and above. This layout will work on any conponent out camera. I use it also on a Canon XH-A1, Sony FX1 and a Z1U.
Roger Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Wrangler

Which converter did you get?
Old December 7th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I bought the Etekcity 04-LKV354-Etek for about $37 -- and then a 5 volt battery (power supply) about $10, and a usb to 5 volt barrel power cable (for the HDMI converter), about $3.

Its described as HDMI 1.3

The converter and battery together weight about 1.5 lbs.

The XHA1 looks real good so far on my 47" monitor -- but I'm still waiting to get the Ninja -- so judge this post accordingly.

The visual tests I've made are based on the XHA1 component out to the HDMI converter -- and then to the HDMI in of a 47" monitor.

I'm hesitating to get the Ninja because I expect an updated Ninja w/a sharper screen to be announced in April at NAB -- and because I'm short of funds ...

Cyber Monday 2013 Deals in USA? Etekcity 04-LKV354-Etek BUY ONLINE

Pyro AV PVC-988 Video Device - Newegg.com

Amazon.com: Kanex Pro HDRGBRL HDMI to Component with Audio Converter: Electronics
Barry Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders