GL3 part 2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 7th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #16
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkim Un
ı strongly believe that gl3 wont be large chip, XLR input, or 24F. H1 was just released and canon can not take risk of directing expectations from H1 to GL3 by announcing gl3 as derived version H1.
Akim - you are perfectly correct, of course. But the pressure IS on them, from an extensive XM2 user base, to deliver. Their next move - IMHO - in this segment of the market will most likely EITHER herald their continued "interest" in it OR their complete severance from it and leave the ground forever allowing SONY to capture their - Canon's - hard won market share. But what do I know?

Quote:
so do you think the only reason of selling H1 is its interchangeable lens system ? except from few wildlife guys, % 90 of people use xl2 with its 20x even they use wide-angle convertors instead of buying 3x. hence if canon release 24F, XLR mic-in, with 3chip GL3, it will bw 5000-6500 $ range and people turn their eyes from H1 to gl3.
No, of course not! But I also think that technologies, R&D, distributor channels and marketing hype do add much to the perceived "value" and cost of an over-priced profit-cow sometimes needed by companies bereft of any other outta-box ideas for future-proofing their own failing revenue/profit streams? Now THAT I do think.

BTW, and IMHO, Sony have given Canon exactly the best permission to fold back their market share into a single BIG chip. Now THAT conversation I'd liked to have been a fly on the wall - if at all it did happen?

Quote:
so the gl3 will be like fx1, maybe 1/3 inch one chip native 16:9 high-def, but lacks some key things from H1. and it will be announced through this year and in the stores 1st quarter of 2007.
Yes, I think you may just be correct.

Quote:
I expect in the following months canon will introduce affordable prosumer hidef cam like sony HC3, priced around 1600$, available in end of summer.

I just think,
alkim.
Unfortunately I think you may be correct here too. And more's the pity. However if Canon COULD finesse a camera-price that still held the power and ability of the XM2, within this market, it most certainly WOULD be a crowd puller plus it would be giving out a truly strong message to all other single chip, non-XLR-ed, HD 20x camera manufacturers. Do we think Canon has the courage to do this? . . . Tick Tock . . Tick Tock . . .

I've elevated "naivety" to an art-form. Just by thinking something I realise doesn't "Make it So!". But juggling with the ideas does offer options for others to consider? Yes?

Thanks for the feedback Akim - very much appreciated . . ;-)

Best regards,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #17
Major Player

when Chris Hurd posts here, I sit up and take notice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
That's okay with me. The sooner you guys get out of the way, the quicker I'll be able to get mine when it ships.
Aha! I love it when Chris Hurd posts in Area 51! Especially in any thread that has to do with "Canon."

Chris, my birthday is honestly in September - so would I be looking to buy myself a birthday present...? or would I be more likely buying a Christmas present???

(*sitting here rubbing hands waiting eagerly for a reply from the Kennelmeister!*)
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard

Unfortunately I think you may be correct here too. And more's the pity. However if Canon COULD finesse a camera-price that still held the power and ability of the XM2, within this market, it most certainly WOULD be a crowd puller plus it would be giving out a truly strong message to all other single chip, non-XLR-ed, HD 20x camera manufacturers. Do we think Canon has the courage to do this? . . . Tick Tock . . Tick Tock . . .
graham
I agree that canon doesn't have enough courage. though sony, pana, and jvc have higher models, they fill the market with plenty of sd-hd cameras, without fear of not selling high end cams.especially the sony has 4 hd models. and it is really hard to understand why canon waits. If I am canon I release 4 hd cameras, because it can feel free that it hasn't any high end cam.

but it is evident that canon is getting ready to release at least 2 hd cams, since H1 is over priced to 9000$.

ok I make up my mind and wish two probable gl3:

1. one 1440x1050 chip, XLR-ed, analog hd-sdı out, 20x hd lens,
2. three 1440x1050 chips (may be not 1080, only 720f), non XLR-ed, non hdsdı out, plus 16x hd lens.

if it is priced 5000 and the second one,then I m afraid that gl2 forum will get some questions like " please help xl2 or gl3 ? " :))

I like too much to play strategies of cam manufacturers, even funny than making film !

thanks,
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #19
Old Boot

Quote:
I like too much to play strategies of cam manufacturers, even funny than making film !

thanks,
alkim.
LOL!!

Grazie
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #20
Major Player

Maybe Canon is working on some kick a$$ camera and everyone will be glad we had to wait.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #21
Inner Circle

It would have to be the size of the Gl2, or less, have a replaceable lens, and be better then the H1, as good as the 1/2inch XDCAM HD preferable, with 720p or with true 1920*1080p as well (I know this is not a HDV mode, but thats the point). Then, I think most of us would just about forget just about every other camera in existence.

Actually, 720p 4:4:4, and 1080 4:2:0 at the same 50Mb/s data rate would be kick ass enough.

But would make a great H2.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #22
Major Player

after looking at the Sony HC3 this weekend with HDV/DV, 24fps, night shot, and all the other stuff for $1400 it shouldn't be to hard for Canon to put together a nice GL3 for under $3,000.
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #23
Major Player

but now with AVCHD, what is Canon going to do?

Certainly, once again, a Canon offering that would be HDV only (ie. tape only) would seem somewhat passe, especially given the news of AVCHD???

Maybe Canon is going to join the AVCHD fold and all will be well - I hope so - because real 1080/24p is just too good to pass up...

So funny how things change - last week I was all for a GL3 since I was willing to "wait" - frustrated by lack of presence at "HDV" low end from likes of Canon and Panasonic - but now AVCHD announcement has changed things a bit for me - the GL3 had better be GREAT for me to give it a serious look...

Here's hoping! Canon can be GREAT again!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #24
Major Player

I must have missed AVCHD,,,,,what is that?
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Yes Mark, maybe that is why also the JVC consumer HD camera is delayed, and why we are getting new Sony HD cameras rumoured to be coming. But they have said JVC wouldn't be using it or something, I find that hard to believe.

Bob AVCHD:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=67127
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Stop the presses, what is this thing?

It looks like a GL2 but it's black, or at least it's dark grey. Is that a 16:9 flip-out LCD?

June's just about over, ain't it?
Attached Images

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #27
Old Boot

HEY!! I just got this in my email from Mr Hurd? Has he .. . er . .. heard anything? But when I come here - NADA!!

C'mon Christopher!!

. .and this is what I got in my email:-

It looks like a GL2 but it's black, or at least it's dark grey. Is that a 16:9 flip-out LCD?

Well? - Grazie
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #28
Old Boot

Quote:

Ah-HA! There you are!! - What is the picture you are tantalizing us with - SPILL!!
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #29
Old Boot

Quote:

June's about over, ain't it?

WOWeeee.e.e.e.e.e !! ! !# $(*)£)($&%^^£^%"

I'm gonna be MORE unbearable now!!!!

G!!!
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #30
Old Boot

Chris!! You got a BIGGER view . . ?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders