GL3 part 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Major Player

GL3 part 2

Canon USA has the rebate for the GL2 going to June 30, 2006 now!! What's the deal? Are they going to sell this camera forever!
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Shortly after that expiration date it's DVExpo East, correct?
Wasn't that where the predecessor was announced?
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Major Player

who can remember that far back.
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Major Player

That rebate has been going on for at least 2 1/2 years--back when I bought my first GL2. Its still a useful camera, but I sure am glad I sold it to get a Z1U!
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Old Boot

June 2002 the XM2 came out - 4 years is that?

C'mon Mr C , cut to the chase . . . already!!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Noooooooooooo not a new one! My old one was the most pages of posts I've ever gotten from people here! lol

Canon better get their ass moving on my 24F GL-H1.

Or I'll light a fire under it. :)
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King
Noooooooooooo not a new one! My old one was the most pages of posts I've ever gotten from people here! lol

Canon better get their ass moving on my 24F GL-H1.

Or I'll light a fire under it. :)
Sorry. Yes it was a good thread.

I see someone buying a Gl2 now and then, but I think that a GL3 24F HDV/SD under $3,000 would be a big seller.
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Trustee

I do wonder though, if Canon don't unveil a GL3 at NAB, what they will be exhibiting? I know they have a number of new lenses out, but surely they would want to make at least one big announcement? Canon's slowness can be very infuriating.

Mind you though, the GL1 and GL2 used 1/4" CCD's. So it would be a change for the family to use 1/3". Given the way that the XL2 is still fairly new and won't be phased out for a while, I doubt that if a GL3 was announced it would be in the same price range as the old models. Certainly a contender for the FX1 though. One thing is for sure, it would be a big seller, and the market needs it.

I know someone who wants to get an HDV camera. If you want a decent form of 24 frame emulation and can't afford an H1, or don't want to bother with P2, there isn't really a camera out there that fits apart from the Sony A1. But that is no good if you want any decent form of manual control.

Come on Canon!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mason
Shortly after that expiration date it's DVExpo East, correct? Wasn't that where the predecessor was announced?
Except... there is no DV Expo East this year!

Aaagh! Aaaaaggghhh!!

The GL2 simply refuses to die.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #10
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

Aaagh! Aaaaaggghhh!!

No, Chris, what refuses to die is the PASSION all us XM2 fans, fanatics have in WANTING a XLR-ed; larger & 16:9 chip; HD and keeping the great glass. That's what wont die - YET! But, Mr canon, the meter is ticking for us wanting/needing to jump ship to the F1/Z1 or Pannie

Now, Mr Canon, do that at a price that is much less than the XLHD and then Canon will sell buckets of 'em!

Mr Canon, please get this sorted out!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Major Player

No Expo East!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

Aaagh! Aaaaaggghhh!!

WHAT!!!???

The Javitz Centre has always been packed!!! What gives?
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

ı strongly believe that gl3 wont be large chip, XLR input, or 24F. H1 was just released and canon can not take risk of directing expectations from H1 to GL3 by announcing gl3 as derived version H1.so do you think the only reason of selling H1 is its interchangeable lens system ? except from few wildlife guys, % 90 of people use xl2 with its 20x even they use wide-angle convertors instead of buying 3x. hence if canon release 24F, XLR mic-in, with 3chip GL3, it will bw 5000-6500 $ range and people turn their eyes from H1 to gl3.

so the gl3 will be like fx1, maybe 1/3 inch one chip native 16:9 high-def, but lacks some key things from H1. and it will be announced through this year and in the stores 1st quarter of 2007.

I expect in the following months canon will introduce affordable prosumer hidef cam like sony HC3, priced around 1600$, available in end of summer.

I just think,
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #13
Major Player

I had been holding out for Canon to get their act together and finally jump into the market, but I decided to blow them off and order an FX1. I love my Canon's but if they won't give any sign of their time-frame for replacing the antiquated GL2, then they deserve to lose a lot of business IMHO.
I still buy nothing but Canon still cameras, but I don't think I'll get another Canon camcorder ever again if they're going to just jerk people around who need HD for projects who can't afford the prohibitively (for most of us) expensive XLH1.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Amen!

They think they are trying to control their own lives, but in reality they are trying to control ours. Here's another potential GL3 customer who is simply not seeing it after all this time. ;)
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

That's okay with me. The sooner you guys get out of the way, the quicker I'll be able to get mine when it ships.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders