Download seven mixed XH G1 clips provided by Kaku Ito - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #76
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sure, there's a deck that supports the 24F mode. It's called the Canon HV10 and it's so advanced that it doubles as a camcorder. Not many decks have a lens and a mic, but this one does. Check out our HV10 forum for more details. And yes it supports 30F and 24F playback as well as four-channel audio.
I was thinking the same thing. I noticed that tape mechanizm of G1 was very responsive so hoping they would use the same one in HV10.
Mr. Sekiguchi offered me to check on HV10, so I will test that.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Yes. The same goes for me. Of course I want to get the best I can get. But at this moment, there is not a perfect HD/HDV camera. There is also not a near-perfect HD/HDV camera... they are all like good, but not very good. I think it can take a few more years for those extra-ordinary camera's to arrive. But untill then, I have to work with something else. My choices are a great/near-perfect DV camera or a good HDV camera.

The HDV workflow is different from the DV workflow. Therefore, I think it is waste of time to start working in DV when HD/HDV is the future. In three years, I expect to upgrade to another camera.... which will come much closer.

Waiting is definately not an option. I want to start shooting again. So I have to pick one of the camera's that is available / will be available this year. While the format matures, I can get familair with the whole HD/HDV workflow/system.

So although you are right, I am still going to buy a camera this year.
Floris,

The Sony V1s will be available first week in December. Can you wait that long?

I know how you feel as I've just finished two screenplays for two shorts that I want to shoot asap. Luckily this camera purchase is nothing to do with my business so I can wait to get the right one. But I want to get shooting.

I am really impressed with the Sony's ability to handle a wide dynamic range and the overall "look" of the footage. Quite different to all other current cameras and I like it!

If you are not careful you'll end up waiting and waiting and waiting...

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #78
Contributor

Heheheh--I think I'll see if I can stick a lens on my DSR1800 and call it a camera. :)

Actually, it does make sense. However, suppose you produce a 90 minute documentary and get accepted into a festival that wants an HDCAM tape (many of them do today)? With an HDV deck like the Sonys, you can output your 24fps project and keep it HDV, take that tape to a production house that has HDCAM, along with your deck if they don't have HDV and do the conversion. In other words, with a camera as a deck, you're limited to an hour production. So you need the camera to load your stuff and the Sony deck to make your masters.

Not having a deck that accepts full size tapes is a negative, in my opinion. It's not a deal killer, just something to consider. Granted, in many cases you can use a hard drive--for a film transfer, for example, I sent a hard drive with the QT files to the lab.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #79
Major Player

I am not sure if I will wait till December. But I will wait till more reviews of the Canon XH-A1 and Sony HVR-V1 surface on the web.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #80
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sure, there's a deck that supports the 24F mode. It's called the Canon HV10 and it's so advanced that it doubles as a camcorder. Not many decks have a lens and a mic, but this one does. Check out our HV10 forum for more details. And yes it supports 30F and 24F playback as well as four-channel audio.
Surprised that HV10 supports the 24F mode, it does not mention anything about that on Japanese webpage.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #81
Major Player

Quote:
The V1 on the other hand looks promising so far, and Sony still has some time for development.
Design freeze for the cam will have happened a loooong time ago. Software edits can change up to a much later stage than hardware obviously and clearly all these companies have a policy of ongoing development, but the camera as it is now is essentially the camera that it will always be. (smallish bug fixes and unannounced factory-installed firmware updates possibly excepted - this is normal).

Quote:
The Canon however will arrive within a month so I suppose production started / will start soon.
"so I suppose production started / will start soon." ?!?!
- it'll have started probably ages ago (prob several months). To produce thousands of units and ship them globally takes really quite a while !!

Nobody at Canon or Sony is about to push a button to start production on these cams.....
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders