Download seven mixed XH G1 clips provided by Kaku Ito at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Download seven mixed XH G1 clips provided by Kaku Ito

Note: download and save files to your local drive first before viewing. These are raw Mpeg transport streams that are best viewed on an HDTV. Shot descriptions provided by Kaku Ito.

XH G1 24 frame stone ornament focus in/out size:78.5MB. This is 1080/24F footage of a Japanese ornament made out of stone and the rain drops are dripping into the water and splashing. 1/48 shutter speed. The cam is close to still and focus goes in and out. Night time but single video light from the top.

XH G1 24 frame panning of Buds size: 49.5MB. This is 1080/24F footage of a couple of buds in my balcony panning from one to another. Shot at night with single video light from the top. 1/48 shutter speed, Out of focus to focused and panned to the other bud.

XH G1 24 frame stone ornament panning with water drips size: 61.6MB. This is 1080/24F footage of a Japanese ornament made out of stone and the rain drops are dripping into the water and splashing. 1/48 shutter speed. The cam is panned from right to left. Night time but single video light from the top.

XH G1 1080/60i stone ornament, drips splashing, panning size: 52.6MB. This is 1080/60i footage of rain drops dripping into the stone ornament but panning. Shutter speed 1/60, night time but single video light from the top.

XH G1 1080/60i drips splashing into water on ornament size: 49.5MB. This is 1080/60i footage of rain drops dripping into water in the ornament. Shutter speed 1/120 to slow it down and convert it to progressive (maybe), night time but single video light from the top.

XH G1 1080/60i drips splashing into water closeup size: 48.3MB. This is 1080/60i footage of rain drops dripping into shallow pool of water. Shutter speed 1/120 to slow it
down and convert it to progressive (maybe), night time but single video light from the top.

XH G1 1080/60i Buds, Spiderweb. raining size: 51.9MB. This is 1080/60i footage of the buds but little more focus on the spider web and the dews. Raining a little harder. Shutter speed 1/60, night time but single video light from the top.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

By the way I think this is just the first batch of clips... knowing Kaku, there might be more later this weekend.

Old October 6th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Chris and Thanks Kaku. I have watched a few and they indeed look very H1ish. I'm hoping to see some wider shots down the road as that is the end of the lens where I see a lot of abberations on the H1. Plus a sharp wide shot always looks hot and is a good chance to see how well the lens resolves details.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

what is required to open the .m2t files?
Old October 6th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Try the VLC media player, a free download from VideoLan:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Old October 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Joseph

Try: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thank you Kaku for uploading these clips. I hope you'll provide us with some wide shots to test the lens.

I really like the natural colours this camera renders. Being H1ish is no bad thing and if Canon has reduced the CA that the H1 lens had then this camera could be a real winner, for me anyway.

TT
Tony Tremble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Major Player

What a great tease! I can't wait to see what you can do when shoot in the light.
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the link, guys. the footage looks great!

now, i may have an untrained eye, but this looks extremely close to the quality of the bicycle footage shown a little while ago by an hvx200. i wish i could remember who posted it, but i am currious to know what anyone who has seen both thinks of the comparison???

for me, not knowing a tremendous amount about the technical side of DV, the A1/G1 seems like the pic for an indie filmaker- seeing as how the overall cost would be relatively lower than the hvx. the P2 technology is great, but the cards, the firestore, the costs outside of the camera seem to build as high as the camera itself?

For someone looking for a "high-quality" image to facilitate, rather than overcome, the story trying to be told, this new canon series seems like the way to go for me.

Learning lots from all of you. Can't wait to hear more....
Old October 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Clips

Kaku,

Were these taken from the HD-SDI out or are they transfers from the HDV tapes?
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

This camera will be at least as good, or better, than the H1, in many ways. The only thing I want to see (and I mean ONLY), is if Canon has addressed the CA issues of the H1 lens and got it right this time. Being that the 3CCDs are the same and that (basically) so is the lens, I am very conservative on my hopeful optimism at this point, not to say, distrustful.

These clips look great but in no way can they display how bad or contained CA issues are. Dim subjects with low contrast are positively THE BEST CASE SCENARIO to conceal visible CA issues. We need exterior full-wide and full-tele, brightly lid/ high contract objects, clips. That's the real test.
Peter Macletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #11
Trustee

First, a big THANK YOU Kaku! I mean it! I hope you are getting some deserved sleep! I am so grateful to see some honest 60i.

Comments about the footage:

This camera can't do daylight! Ha! (kidding). As a current Z1U owner, my opinion is that the video noise level has been reduced. Whether because the clip is SDI or not I can't say, but it is very clean. Even in this challenging low light and falling rain, I am really encouraged. The 60i video is smooth and natural, nicely detailed.

While I don't own canon video gear, I do own the Canon 13mp DSLR 5D, and "L" glass. The best "L" lenses in addition to ULD lens elements also have fluorite lens elements, including the XH-A1/G1 HDV camcorder. That is very encouraging at this price point, and alleviates any lingering doubts that the chromatic abberations would remain to any worrisome degree. The Sony Z1U has CA, but I find the purple fringing preferable to the red/green fringing more typically associated with Canon lenses, (by me at least).

So it's not much to go on, but the 1080i60 reality look is what I'm after, and I'm really encouraged that the XH-A1/G1 will deliver the bacon. Would love to see what this cam can do in daylight. The competition for me is the Sony V1U, and it sounds really promising, at times it sounds a little "too" promising, but I think it will deliver the goods also. The compelling features of the Canon for me compared to the V1U are:

1.) 1440 x 1080 native panels
2.) Smooth, judder free 60i HDV
3.) Fluorite Lens
4.) fast focus with IR focus assist
5.) Lower price!

The compelling features of the Sony V1U for me are:

1.) Sony colors, skin tones, latitude
2.) smaller and lighter
3.) clean, noise free video (in the Z1U at least) and decent low light
4.) noise free gain
5.) Convenience features (don't underestimate the flip shade, flip screen), they do matter!
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #12
Regular Crew

A higher gamma adjusted of one of the clips above reveals major vertical banding under low light... Looks almost as good (or bad) as my HV10... what a dissapointment... :(

Let's hope this was shot with gain all the way up... :( still... when will we move on off these CCD/ CMOS shortcomings???... these same issues have been going now for almost 2 decades now... seems astonishing that can't move past the same technical deficiencies no matter the new products out...

http://216.127.51.88/_downloads/banding.bmp
Peter Macletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #13
Major Player

I'm also curious to know whether or not these are HD-SDI or from the HDV tape. I'm hoping hdv. If not would it be possible to get some hdv tape footage up for those of that want the A1?

Also is some daylight footage of the city or something possible?
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King
I'm also curious to know whether or not these are HD-SDI or from the HDV tape. I'm hoping hdv.
Sorry if I am missing something but since these are .m2t files doesn't that almost confirm this is HDV footage? I mean, if Kaku had captured this stuff via sdi to a higher quality codec, why would he go through the trouble to recompress it to HDV?

99% sure you are getting the raw .m2t files from the tape/firestore/whatever.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #15
Major Player

Hey your right I didn't notice that. Damn I need to get my head straight - or get some sleep.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders