DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adaptor for XH A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/78929-wide-angle-adaptor-xh-a1.html)

Don Palomaki April 4th, 2007 08:56 AM

I believe that Century has just modified their product line within the past week or so. Up until ~last week they listed different 72mm 0.6x models for the XL series and the XH series camcorders. The XL series model is now overtaken.

There were some user reports that the older model for the XL1 would vignette on the new wide angle models and that it did not do well with HDV. This might be Century's response. I note that the new model is 3 ozs heavier than the former 0.6x for the XL1 (10 ozs. vs. 7 ozs.).

B&H is closed until next week for Passover, so likely there will be little to no news from there until then.

With a bit of manipuilation you can fit the XL1 0.6X on a XH A1, but I've not tested it yet to see how good/bad it is compared to use on the XL1. There is substantial barrel distortion even in SD mode, when mounted on the A1.

The old Century 0.6X adapter I have was designed for use on the XL1, which had a 5.5mm minimum focal length. (And it probably worked on the XL H1 with 5.4mm minimum focal length.) However, the XH A1 minimum focal length is 4.5mm, so it is possible there was an issue with vignetting and other effects, especially when the zoom setting dropped below 5.5mm focal length and wide open aperture. Also, the bayonet mount is slightly different (bottom lug a bit larger) on the A1.

This change will allow Century to have a common adapter for all models now, a cost savings for them, and it simplifies life for XL/XH owners as well.

Marty Hudzik April 4th, 2007 08:58 AM

I am curious if this is the same lens element as the previous .6x adapters. I have had long conversations with the tech guys at CO and they informed me that the .6x wide that is used in all of their .6x HD adapters is the same glass that is used on the original .6x adapters for the XL1 and XL2. So I purchased a used .6x for $125 off of Ebay and I use it on my H1. Is it perfect? No. There is obviously some bowing at the edges and there is a little softness. But overall I am happy for a $125 adapter. I don't think I would pay
full retail however. It tends to take away a llittle sharpness for HD. IMHO. I only use it when I absolutely need the FOV to be as wide as possible.

Century is well known for being at the top of the hill for add on adapters for existing lenses. Still, anytime you put extra glass in front of the lens you are going to degrade the image somewhat. And this happens with CO lenses too. I can only imagine how bad it would be with cheap generic adapters.

Don Palomaki April 4th, 2007 09:01 AM

Our posts crossed in the ether. The new mount appears to be a bit larger/heavier, probably to allow for the wider view/shorter focal lengths.

Marty Hudzik April 4th, 2007 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 653701)
Our posts crossed in the ether. The new mount appears to be a bit larger/heavier, probably to allow for the wider view/shorter focal lengths.

I still see a seperate model for the XL series listed. Where do you see that they have been consolidated? Also, do you think it is a different lens element or do you think the new mount just brings it closer to the lens to compensate for the wider FOV of the A1?

It would be great if it was new glass. But as of December I was told that all of their .6x used the same optical element......just a different mount based on the camera. Even the HD adapter used the same glass.

Thanks!

Don Palomaki April 4th, 2007 02:32 PM

The Century site. The old XL series product links to the XH series product; i,.e,:
"The stock code for this item has changed. Please see the 0HD-06WA-XLH."

And that item is 83 grams heavier, ~1 mm thicker, and has a 10 mm larger front ring diameter than the specs on the older one. It also takes 102mm filters.

You can read the specs for the old adapter in the brochure pdf for the XL series camcorders at: http://www.schneideroptics.com/centu...l-h1/xl-h1.htm.

The 10mm additional diameter has to be for a larger hunk of glass beause the mount end is the same size.

Marty Hudzik April 4th, 2007 02:50 PM

Looks like they might have changed it! D*#n! Now I have to figure out if it is indeed a better quality piece of glass in there. The current .6x is barely acceptable to me so a new better one is intriguing! Still, the $125 I paid for it is worth it at this point.

Jim Froom April 4th, 2007 04:31 PM

XH A1 wide angle lens & cap

I bought the Canon Wide Angle lens for my XH A1.

The instructions say that the lens cap will fit onto the supplied lens hood.

It does fit, but there is no way I'd trust it to stay on. It sits on there very loosely and comes off too easy. Anyone else have this same issue.

Hernan Vilchez April 4th, 2007 06:01 PM

Yes, ive just bought it too. I found the same problem. Really incredible! Anyone found out a solution to solve this?
Is this happening only in some of the Canon WD, or is it a case of bad design of the product?
Should i change it for another WD -Century Optics..?

Thanks!

Hernan Vilchez April 5th, 2007 08:15 AM

Canon wd-h 72 cap problem

Please people, somebody using the Canon wide angle, is the cap so loosely attached to the end of the lense hood too?

Or should i change the item (ive just bought it, just checked this issue when i arrived home)

Alex Leith April 5th, 2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hernan Vilchez (Post 654274)
Please people, somebody using the Canon wide angle, is the cap so loosely attached to the end of the lense hood too?

Or should i change the item (ive just bought it, just checked this issue when i arrived home)

No it's loose on mine too!

Larry Chapman April 5th, 2007 09:38 AM

Mine too. I thought about putting a few layers of tape on the inside of the cap. My concern with that is when it gets warm I'll get "sticky stuff" where I don't want it!

Eric Weiss April 5th, 2007 10:47 AM

try a little slice of velcro tape

Jim Froom April 5th, 2007 09:22 PM

OK. At least we know it's not us. The lens cap is loose on the lens hood.

Canon is a multi billion dollar company. Maybe they did it on purpose or have some other reason.

Regardless, I'm thinking they blew this one. Either bad reasoning or bad quality control. Can't think of a reason to make it fit so poorly.

I might try and put a little black silicone in 2-4 spots and see if I can force a tighter fit. If not, maybe some Velcro.

If anyone else comes up with a jury-rigged solution, let us know.

David McGiffert April 5th, 2007 09:35 PM

My lens cap is loose too,

Jim,
I like that dots-of-silicone idea,
I'm going to do that.

David

Andrew Ott April 6th, 2007 06:18 PM

It's not just the WA adapter. My cap fits much looser over my UV filter than my A1 by itself.