B&H A1 in stock! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:10 PM   #31
Wrangler

I think Andrew is referring to the extended warranty program offered by some of the credit card companies when you make a purchase using their card.

Here's some info on the American Express program:

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...tBenefitDetail

There are some limitations however; you are not covered if you used the camera professionally unless you purchase it with an American Express Business Card.

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...urance2003.pdf

Also see the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68675
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:01 PM   #32
Contributor

You can buy the Mack warranty via credit card from Zotz Digital. I think it's about $179.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM   #33
Regular Crew

On the Mack Warranty. I had a point-and-shoot stolen (after 6 months) and Mack transfers its warranty to my simiarly valued replacement point-and-shoot. Did this over the phone, no hassel.

Last year I sent them a GL2 (under warranty) with zoom and rewind problems and they had it back in about a week (I think) in good working order.
Steven Glicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #34
Major Player

Small point maybe... but I noticed that B&H doesn't list an HDV tape and an SD card in their XH-A1 kit. Canon and the other suppliers I've looked at do. Did you get them with your camera from B&H?
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Brad,

The SD card is a supplied accessory from the factory. The included master series tape was also in the box but isn't listed in the manual as a "suppied accessory". I think it's just a promotional from Canon.
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #36
Major Player

Thanks Wade.

I always click on the "what's in the box" button and noticed that B&H didn't mention them although Texas, J&R, Amazon, and the Canon site did. Somebody was talking about open boxes and I was just wondering...

I've ordered from B&H before and never been unhappy, even when I returned an LCD for bad pixels 3 times. Ended up getting my money back and not having to pay for shipping. Actually pretty good service.
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #37
Contributor

I bought mine from B&H and the card and tape are included. However, you might consider TapeworksTexas--they've had a free bag deal when you buy an A1--it's a $150 bag.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #38
Major Player

I ordered my XH-A1 from B&H last week and apparently they are including a Porta Brace "Field Production Vault" case. Didn't even know I was getting it until I checked the shippment e-mail they sent me. Not sure I even need it, but it wil be nice to have.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Great service

I came across Zotz after seaching for a Libec tripod. Great service from Brian who always answered my questions via email quickly. I will order my Libec tripod sometime this week.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #40
Contributor

I got the Libec from Brian at Zotz--great customer service there and fun to talk to. It's unusual to talk to a sales type person who actually knows something about the gear and is interested. He recommended the Panasonic AMQ tape stock, which he also sells at a reasonable price (though I get it locally for about the same). Zotz apparently sells a lot of Canons, and he said tape problems with this stock are almost nonexistent--the only dropouts he's heard about come from a wildlife photographer who changes tape in dirty, dusty windy conditions. This corroborates what I've seen in DV tape dropouts too because the only ones I've seen came from guys who practiced lousy tape handling procedures out in the dirt.

Brian recommended the Libec 22 for the A1, and it's a perfect fit. Very lightweight and collapses down pretty small. My purchase of the A1 is all about small, light and fast, so I wanted a much lighter tripod then the normal ones I use. This one is not bullet-proof and you have to watch the end of your pans. You can't just let go like with an O'Connor and expect the head to come to a perfect stop. With a little practice, you can make perfect moves.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders