Camera not working! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #61
Obstreperous Rex

I am having a difficult time understanding the nature of your problem, but my advice is to contact Canon Europa immediately and send it in to their service center for repair. That is your single best course of action.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #62
Major Player

Lock button is jammed

On the wheel of my A1, the playback position work fine, but I get no power on any record option, looks like the lock button do not depress on any of those recording positions.
I am in San Diego and shooting tomorrow....any idea what it is?
Robert Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #63
Disjecta

Yes, on the button you press for record at the back of the camera, you will see two options. One is lock and the other is standby. It probably slipped to "lock" by mistake, change it to "standby".
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #64
Major Player

Many thanks, you are a Master and you saved my life. It works!
Robert Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #65
New Boot

Canon xh a1 won't turn on

Hmm I lent my canon xh a1 to my friend, and it works on the dials that let you watch what you have recorded, but it won't start up when I put it on the A dial or the M, or AV I'm not sure why anyone know? Basically any dial that lets me record doesn't let the camera start up
Logan Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #66
Wrangler

Try switching the STANDBY/LOCK switch from Lock to Standby position.
Old November 20th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #67
Contributor

Yep--that'll do it. Almost everybody new to a Canon camera has flipped that switch accidentally.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #68
New Boot

aha thanks guys!
Logan Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM   #69
Major Player

this one should really be a sticky - it would save the heart palpitations it invokes when it happens to it seems almost everybody once

been there
trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 09:40 AM   #70
New Boot

Happened to me at 3 in the morning during a 48 hour film festival. We had shot all of the footage we needed and we were about to start editing when I realized the A1 wouldn't turn on. After going 30 hours without much sleep I was completely lost. I think I tried just about everything and then pretty much broke down. I thought we were completely screwed until I realized the obvious. Total n00b moment.
Sebastian Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM   #71
Contributor

It bit me, almost fatally, when I went with a flm critic to shoot an interview for an on line site with Billy Bob Thornton and Virginia Madsen. We got there an hour early, got our spot, set up some lights, and waited. While waiting we decided to do a couple of shots of the critic by himself talking about the event. Did that. No problem. It was all hand held, so I sat the camera down on the floor, stood around talking awhile, finally picked up the camera and--it wouldn't come on. PANIC!

But, just about everything that can go wrong has happend to me over the years and I figued it was something I had done. When it came on for playback mode, I knew there was some switch someplace that had moved. Then I found it. It took me maybe about 2 minutes, but it seemed like 2 hours. Definitely a heart-stopper.
Old November 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM   #72
Major Player

bill-

i've read your posting about that red carpet interview on another site. in your very fine description of the "dos & don'ts" of such an event, i don't recall u discussing THAT moment of panic. it is heartening to know seasoned pros like yourself can still work around the edges of doubt. congrats for being so up front.

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:13 PM   #73
Major Player

Wait until you hit that switch in the middle of recording... that really bites it. You lose a good 20-25 sec. I wish someone at Canon would have made this a little more difficult to switch, or inoperable while the camera was recording.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM   #74
Contributor

Rob, you know what the difference is between an amateur and a professional, don't you? When a pro screws up he catches it in time, and the client never knows.
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Rob, you know what the difference is between an amateur and a professional, don't you? When a pro screws up he catches it in time, and the client never knows.
bill-

i always thought a pro was not paid to try but to accomplish

by the way, your comment made me smile. thanks :)

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders