Camera not working! - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #91
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
I might have paused for a couple of minutes, but would that cause it to go into standby and shut down?
Most definitely yes.

Quote:
I then tried to re power the camera with the main dial and it was still dead.
When an XH camera is in standby mode, it can't be re-powered by the main dial. Instead you have to cycle the standby switch. In fact it's your description (that you tried to re-power the camera with the main dial and it was still dead) that leads me to believe that it simply went into standby mode.

Quote:
Exctly how could I replicate what you're talking about to see if that's the cause?
Load a tape. Record a few seconds and stop. Be sure that the camera is waiting in rec / pause mode. Wait several minutes. Don't touch anything on the camera. It should power down all by itself (this is standby mode).

Cycle the main power dial -- nothing should happen. Change batteries like you did before -- nothing should happen. It'll seem like it's completely dead (except for VCR Playback mode; that function will work fine).

Now cycle the standby / lock switch and watch it spring back into life.

If you find the auto standby mode annoying, simply disable it using the Custom Function menu.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #92
Trustee

Chris,
I just tried what you suggested.
1- I recorded 2 minutes to tape.
2- Put it in ''record/pause" mode, and waited.
3- After about 4 minutes, the"auto power/ save" window came up , started blinking, and in about 30 seconds, the camera shut down.
4- I turned the main dial to "off" then back to "m" and the camera powered right up.
The "standby/lock" switch is in "standby".
What happened saturday was that I was shooting and only paused briefly, then the camera went dead. The only thing I didn't try was to toggle the "standby/ lock" switch back and forth.
Any other ideas?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #93
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
After about 4 minutes, the"auto power/ save" window came up , started blinking, and in about 30 seconds, the camera shut down.
Okay Bruce -- try this exercise just one more time please. Make sure the switch is set to "standby." Let the camera shut down by itself and this time flip the switch to the "lock" position. Now try re-powering from the main dial -- nothing should happen. Change batteries, and nothing should happen. Flip the switch back to the standby position and it should turn on again.

I know you said you didn't touch that switch before, but consider the possibility that maybe you did flip it inadvertently, without being aware that you did it. What I'm suggesting to you is that *if this happens again,* your first step should be to immediately cycle that switch to see if it brings the camera back to life.

If that doesn't do it (and you've checked the battery, etc.) then you might have a problem that needs to be looked at by Canon service... but I'm willing to bet that cycling that switch is all you need to do.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #94
Contributor

The two times I've accidentally moved the switch, I also could have sworn that I never touched it. But I did. It's easy to do it and never know you did, especially if you're moving around a lot, putting it on and taking it off a tripod, in and out of a bag, etc.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #95
New Boot

Everyone,
Let me again tell you that my A1 "froze" just like Bruce's - several times over a 2 week period. The last time it happened I was 1 minute into videoing a horse at a show (not that that's important) and I was following the rider using the viewfinder (with Sony cup). The camera was on a tripod, and I was zooming in and out. The viewfinder went totally dark. I flipped the lever to lock, then back to standby, then pushed the button and continued videoing. I missed 2 of the horse's jumps. I did not accidentally flip it to lock. I have videoed maybe 500+ riders who take about 2 minutes to complete their jumps and once I push the button, I keep my thumb away... I have never screwed up a clip (well... sometimes they enter the ring before I start the camera and I miss 3 or 4 seconds, but that is rare). The only parts of my right hand touching the camera are my 2 fingers on the zoom buttons. My left hand is on the fluid head's pan handle.
John B. Coons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #96
Trustee

Chris,
I tried it again, and when I toggle to "lock" the camera won't power up. Also when the camera is off (and the main dial is in off position),and the switch is set to "lock", the camera won't power up.

Bill,
I'd like to think that I mistakenly turned the toggle switch to 'lock", because it would mean that there was nothing wrong with the camera. In addition, I would have to have inadvertntly switched it back to "standby" when I took it out later in the reception. that's switching it twice without being conscious of doing so either time....
I've been running it a long time today, and no problem.

I called tech support at Canon, and he suggested tht I send it in. I have to send my H1 in on the 9th (for another problem), and maybe when I get it back, I'll send in the A1 (which is still under warranty).
Thanks to Chris et. al for chiming in and trying to help.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #97
Trustee

At least I know how to turn it back on if it happens again (hopefully)...
Bruce S. yrock
www.yarock.com
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #98
Wrangler

Quote:
...that's switching it twice without being conscious of doing so either time....
Perhaps easier to do if one is not fully aware of the consequences of the act.

Quote:
...I was following the rider using the viewfinder (with Sony cup). The camera was on a tripod, and I was zooming in and out. ...I keep my thumb away... I have never screwed up a clip (well... sometimes they enter the ring before I start the camera and I miss 3 or 4 seconds, but that is rare). The only parts of my right hand touching the camera are my 2 fingers on the zoom buttons.
You are a far better videographer than most, especially following what presumably is fast action through the viewfinder on a tripod while zooming with the on-camera controls. Why not try a zoom controller such as the ZR-2000? Might make life a bit easier.
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #99
New Boot

no power except vcr mode

I have a three week old A1. While I was shooting, the camera went dead. It now only works in VCR mode. Any ideas what this could be? Thank you.
Richard Lozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #100
Wrangler

Standby switch?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #101
New Boot

Ah. I switched the thumb switch to 'lock'. Don't do this unless you want to experience fear.
Richard Lozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #102
Major Player

Been there. Done that.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #103
New Boot

Same here.
It did send a chill down my spine at first, until I recalled a thread on this board discussing this very thing.
Ernest Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #104
New Boot

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103020
Jim Stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #105
New Boot

So I just typed out a whole big question and then I saw it. It's a really obvious fix and I feel like such a moron haha. Thanks guys for inadvertantly helping me. I'm pretty sure I almost soiled my pants since I got this less than twelve hours ago. Thanks again looking forward to being part of the forums.
John Patrick Murphy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders