24F & 30F question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Major Player

24F & 30F question

Hope someone can help with the following question (Chris, if this isn't the right place, please feel free to send me elsewhere):

I have shot a bunch of test footage with my XH-A1 in 24F and 30F and imported and edited on PPro 2.0 via Cineform Aspect HD. I've exported as .mov and .avi and as MPEG-2 DVD both through Adobe Media Encoder and through TMPGEnc. I kept the settings at the progressive, or no fields, settings. The footage looks fantastic on my HD LCD TV and on my rear projection screen TV, but I notice interlace "teeth" on the edges of moving objects when viewed on my Sony WEGA CRT TV.

Any ideas why I only see the "teeth" on the CRT? Any initial ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Would very much appreicate any insight! Thanks guys (and gals).
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hmm... don't know if this should go to our Cineform forum or our Premiere forum...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Wondered the same thing, but I know a lot of people are currently readling this thread and hoped they might be able to help...
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Perhaps this is an issue with the TV set itself as the other sets didn't seem to interlace the footage....can't wait to hear the end result of this one.
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Major Player

I am currently trying a bunch of different variations on my export MPEG2 creation.

Steve, I agree, but could it be because the other two sets are not CRTs? It is a nice Sony TV and the DVD player is Sony that reads progressive DVDs. Odd I know...I will keep trying to figure it out.
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #6
New Boot

I don't have an A1 so I don't know about that but you could play it on another CRT TV and see if it does the same.
It could be the player.
Does anything else you play on that TV and DVD player have any problems?
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Major Player

devon,

in premiere's export movie settings, can you verify that "keyframing and rendering" is set to "no fields"? even when working in a progressive project, premiere defaults to "lower field first" when exporting a movie file.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Henry:

Will do, I have a bunch of different tests that I will try at home tonight on my Sony CRT and will also try and find a different CRT/DVD combination.

Also, does anyone know what GOP settings we should use for 24f and for 30f when rendering out MPEGs? There is a setting for "M Frame" and a setting for "N Frame".
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

What is your dvd player set at? Mine has an option for 720p or 1080i.
Jack Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #10
Major Player

OK. I am now about 97% sure it is because the DVD player (Sony with progressive scan) that is hooked up to the TV will not play progressive scan DVDs properly (i.e., showing the "teeth") because I don't have it hooked up with component cables. When I tried to activate the progressive function it wouldn't work.

Sorry for asking the question, but I thought the DVD player was working properly. Add to that the fact that I thought the reason the clips looked fine on my HD LCD TV and my HD rear projection screen was because they were not CRT tubes, I think you can understand my confusion.

Two more things. I can now verify, without doubt, that HD footage captured to PPro 2.0 via Cineform Aspect HD and then rendered as a SD MPEG2 DVD looks MUCH better (seriously) when created through TMPEGenc then through Adobe Media Encoder. I have tested this a few times, with a few clips and asked two other people to give me their opinion. It requires an extra step because you need to render out your final file vial PPRo export > Movie > Cineform HD .avi file and then import into TMPEGenc, but there is a noticable difference.

Sorry for the long post, but can anyone please explain the GOP settings? What should M Frame and N Frame be set to for 30f and 24f footage?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders